Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

excalibur313

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 7, 2003
Cambridge, MA
I'm behind a firewall at my college and I was wondering if there was a program I could use to figure out which ports are open so that I can route programs through them.
Thanks,
Excalibur313

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Re: How do you sniff out holes in firewalls?

Originally posted by excalibur313
I'm behind a firewall at my college and I was wondering if there was a program I could use to figure out which ports are open so that I can route programs through them.
Thanks,
Excalibur313
There are a few factors you have to look at. But the biggest is: Are you trying to run something the college computer policies forbid. And after that, the fact that you're probing the firewall to look for openings could get you in trouble with the college as well.

After you deal with the college rules and regulations, how you would search for a hole in the firewall depends on what you're trying to run. Different applications have different requirements.

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
Note the above warnings. Doing what I am about to suggest can be viewed as an attempted attack on the network!

Open up the Applications/Utilities folder. Start the NetworkUtility app (named this or somthing similar). Click the Port Scan tab. Select a sensible range of ports (say 0 to 10000). Run it against the ip address of the firewall.

Only do this if you are very sure you want to. Any decent network admin will see this happening and rip you a new one.

excalibur313

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 7, 2003
Cambridge, MA
Oh I see. I thought that the reason why networks blocked off all but a very few specified ports was to block attempts for outsiders to get in. I thought that if you wanted to run a program you simply just ran it through the clearly specified ports. I didn't realize that it could be viewed as an attack on the network.
Thanks,
Excalibur313

Lanbrown

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2003
Oh I see. I thought that the reason why networks blocked off all but a very few specified ports was to block attempts for outsiders to get in. I thought that if you wanted to run a program you simply just ran it through the clearly specified ports. I didn't realize that it could be viewed as an attack on the network.
Thanks,
Excalibur313

Attacks happen internally and externally. A firewall is used to prohibit certain functions. If you don't want people sending mail, you can block SMTP from everyone or just allow one, like the SMTP server.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Thanks,
Excalibur313
If you are given a list of specific ports to use, or an application works, this is not considered an attack.

Running a port scanner looking for open ports is an attack.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.