How do you stop your mac building up Rubbish ?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Fabrix2003, Mar 5, 2004.

1. Fabrix2003 macrumors regular

just wondered, when i was using my PC i was constantly deleting files cookies cleaning the exlporer history from the start menu etc,
    just wondering whats worth deleting weekly etc?
    i know that because its unix based and its clever operating system it doesnt need to be defragged which is nice but i still feel there are things i can do to improve performance in panther as i am a multimedia student and need all the performance i can get out of my powerbook G4 for college work

Any little secrets you know fellow mac users would be great!
    Thanks.

Fabrix. :)

2. encro macrumors 6502

encro

Just the usual suspects:

1. Fix Permissions in Disk Utility

type this in the terminal:
    Code:
    sudo periodic daily weekly monthly
    (you dont need to do this if you leave you Mac on 24hrs because it's done automatically between 3am and 5am).

3. Panther automatically defragments files under 20meg in size.

Cheers

3. encro macrumors 6502

encro

You could also delete your IE, Safari, Camino history & caches etc as well to free up filespace.

4. advres Guest

advres

Get MacJanitor - OSX is designed to do its own housecleaning at random times per day, week and month(Normally during the middle of the night). If your mac isn't turned on during these scheduled times it will not do it. MacJanitor really helps because you can force your system to do the maintenance at any time.

I also you Cocktail which is a nice utility for cleaning caches and and repairing permissions. Permissions are your main battle in this war. When anything seems screwy with the unix heart pumping in your book first things first - Repair those permissions.

5. dudeami macrumors regular

You can also run the maintenance scripts inivdiually, if you do not want to run all three every time. you can run these from the terminal

sudo sh /etc/daily

sudo sh /etc/weekly

sudo sh /etc/monthly

If you want to clean all of your browsers' cache file as well as system and user cache, I beleive Cache Out X has gotten very good feedback. I have used it only once now, but did not have any adverse issues. It is freeware, just do a search on it. I beleive the latest version is 3.3.1. You can find it at versiontracker.

6. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Do you know what browsers Cache Out X supports? I have a whole bunch of different web browsers on my Mac (such as IE, Safari, and Mozilla). I would be interested in trying out Cache Out X if it supports the browsers I use.

7. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

There's really no point in flushing caches, everything in cache is removed after a short period of time anyway, and it caches affect nothing but browsing (and usually speed that up). Leave your computer on (awake, not asleep) 24 hours a day, it will take care of itself. Anything more is overkill by people who refuse to get with the times. The only real problem i've found with things that don't clear out, are Preference files, which are simply a minor annoyance. Once a year, go through and trash ones you never use. Beyond that, don't worry about it unless there's a problem-- It never hurts to repair permissions.

paul

8. eclipse525 macrumors 6502a

eclipse525

9. dudeami macrumors regular

Cache Out X supports these browsers

Camino
    iCab
    Internet Explorer
    Mozilla/Netscape
    Mozilla Firebird
    OmniWeb
    Opera
    Safari

10. dudeami macrumors regular

I think he is refering to the system disk permissions. These can be repaired using the disk utility, whick you will find in the /applications/utilities directory.

You can also re-schedule the daily, weekly and monthly maintenance scripts in crontab to run at a time when your machine will normally be awake, instead of leaving your machine running 24/7

11. HexMonkey Administrator

HexMonkey

Staff Member

Every file/folder in Mac OS X has a set of permissions. These set whether the owner, a group or everyone can read, write, or execute it. For example, the Documents folder in your Home should give you (the owner of the folder) read and write access, and no access to everyone else.
    To view permissions, select a file/folder and get info. There's a section called 'Ownership & Permissions'. If you have an admin password, you can change them here, but you should know what you're doing.
    Repairing permissions sets some permissions to what they should be, if they have been incorrectly set. For example, an application's resource file might be set so that the current user can't read it. This would obviously cause many problems, and repairing permissions would fix this.

12. encro macrumors 6502

encro

If your using one of the latest Camino nightly builds it probably won't work as the caches are now in a different named folder.