How do you take a screenshot?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Gloor, Sep 9, 2007.

1. macrumors 6502a

I recently switched to mac and I was wondering how do you take a screenshot of your desktop. I can't seem to find it. Anyone pls?

2. macrumors 6502

Command-Shift-3. (Command is the one with the Apple logo on it).

3. macrumors member

Cmd - Shift - 3 = Fullscreen screenshot
    Cmd - Shift - 4 = You can select the area for the screenshot
    Cmd - Shift - 4 - Space = You can take a screenshot of a window

4. macrumors 604

iBookG4user

Command + shift + 3 takes a screen capture of the whole screen. Command + shift + 4 lets you select what area of the screen. Command + shift + 4 + space lets you just get a single window/Dock/Menu bar.

5. thread starter macrumors 6502a

6. macrumors 603

HLdan

Wait, one more way and you may like it better because it has more options. It's called "Grab". It's in the utilities folder. I love it!

Since you are new to Mac here's a cool tip. Open the Macintosh HD and drag the Applications folder to the Dock next to the trash. Right click or hold down on the mouse on the Applications folder and it will spring up with all your applications for quick access.

7. Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

And one more yet... if you take a lot of screen grabs, consider Skitch. It's a very nice program that provides really simple (but elegant) captioning, circling, arrow-pointing options. It also manages a library of grabs that you take, and it webpost them with a couple of button clicks so that you can post them in forums or inline them in a web page. It's great.

I occasionally still take opt-shift-3 screen grabs, because I want to capture something Skitch doesn't seem to handle correctly (like you can grab menu bars and things as full-screens with the keyboard, but you can't do it when you're using the mouse too, and so Skitch doesn't work well for that). I still just drag them into Skitch and delete the originals, though. :)

I can invite you if you'd like...PM an e-mail address.

8. macrumors regular

thanks for that!