How do you tell people to...uh..."shove it" in your country?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Rower_CPU, Dec 17, 2002.

1. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Per the recommendation of dukestreet, I'm making this thread to see what kind of gestures are used around the world to tell people you are less than happy with them.

I'm a big fan of "the bird", the middle finger, here in the US.

So, what's your gesture?:)

2. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

if i remember correctly, in korea they use their thumb and flick it off their top tooth.. the nail that is....

then there's brushing the chin... that's always a popular one..

all kinda weak if you ask me.

3. Rower_CPU thread starter Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Ha...I'm pretty sure that the general one used in Europe is the good old fist, under the arm being my favorite variant...

Nothing weak about that...

Waaaaaaagh, eh?
    Waaaaaaaaaagh!
    Waaaaaaaaaagh!
    ;)

4. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

very interesting thread.

im curious to hear what everyones national "shove it" gesture is. especially canadas! :D

5. etoiles macrumors 6502a

etoiles

There is also these crazy Brits with their victory 'v' facing the other way...or is that just a split phalic symbol ? As I said, crazy...
    :)

6. SPG macrumors 65816

SPG

First I would like to discuss the ever popular middle finger, then I will acquaint you with an oldy to some, but more likely unknown to most of you.
    Anyone seen 8mile, the Eminem vehicle that was in theaters recently? Did you seee his technique in giving the finger? Pitiful, how can you really be that much of a badass and not know how to give the finger properly? Let me explain...
    Make a fist, then extend the middle finger. Looks menacing and mean, doesn't it?
    Now try the eminem method: open your hand and hold it vertically, palm towards you. Now stick out your thumb and only curl the back 2/3 of each finger except the middle one. Kind of looks like a gorilla paw about to go on a booger hunt up your own nose!
    The middle finger represents the cock and balls, that's why it is offensive. If you want to offend someone give them the finger and know what it represents. A thumb sticking out the side doesn't make any sense anatomically, and with part of the other fingers sticking up, it shows a smaller twig and misshapen berries.

Now for the new, er, old hand gesture. I was taught this one as "The Spyga" pronounced Shpee-gah, Eastern European in origin.
    Make a fist with your thumb sticking between the index and middle fingers. The tip of the thumb should be sticking through slightly and visible. Now bring this up and forward from hip level ending just below eye level while giving a slight twist (no more than 180 degrees total twist and back or the effect is lost).

Enjoy the use of the Spyga and go out to offend powerfully now knowing the full force of the good old middle finger. I should warn you that giving the Spyga to the wrong Eastern European may result in a good old ass kicking the likes of which you can not have imagined unless incarcerated by the KGB.

7. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Michael Jackson sort of ruined the good old crotch grab for the majority of the world.

Try it now and the only thing people see is a pathetic imitation of the gloved one doing a crotch grabbing pelvic thrust.

8. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Then there are the variations on the bird -

All fingers up except the middle finger - read between the lines - a little more subtle for those special occassions.

D

9. Roger1 macrumors 65816

Roger1

Telling someone to "Bite me" is pretty good, usually done with a crotch grab.

Another one I like, which is effective with someone who is complaining, is telling them to "Suck it up and Deal with it!"

10. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

But having to say words defeats the purpose and poignancy of a jesture. The implied action/intended abuse is much more profound - especially when done from a distance.

Another good one is mooning - ;)

D

11. etoiles macrumors 6502a

etoiles

12. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

this is a politcal thread?

13. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

it always seems to revert to that in someway, doesn't it?

14. Roger1 macrumors 65816

Roger1

Another good one is mooning - 

I've been mooned before. Never before have had such a strong urge to use my bb gun on somebody. :D :D :D

15. Geetar macrumors regular

With a French handle like yours, you should know it's a ......"salute"....to our old friends the French (bowmen at Crecy, Agincourt, 100 yrs War etc):D

16. Wes macrumors 68020

Wes

Following on a from a previous post here is the theory how the English "V" sign began, as told to me by my history teacher.

It was one of those usual English French Battles. In those times chivalry was a big deal. If one team caught anothers archers they would not kill them, instead they aputated their index and middle fingers so as to render them useless while using a bow and arrow. As the battle began the English archers saluted their French adversaries just to prove the point that they still had those fingers.

17. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

I make an X with my arms across my crotch and yell 'SUCK IT'. :D

18. Chad4Mac macrumors 6502

I've traveled Italy a bit and they use the, "this far up your ass" gesture.

Put your left hand on the top of your right bicep. Bring both arms up about shoulder level, and bend the right arm in toward your chest a bit.

Here's a picture: Click Here

Pretty funny if you ask me!

Chad4Mac

19. Wes macrumors 68020

Wes

Weird Italians! Doesn't seem that graphic to me. Scem0, that was a craze at my school a while ago, thankfully it died.

20. AssassinOfGates macrumors 6502

With the back of your right hand, slap the palm of your left hand. The notorious bitch slap is mastered.

21. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

lol, naughty naughty old man.... I would like to see him flicking his
    finger off.

22. Chad4Mac macrumors 6502

This little, seemingly none threatning gesture, can really get you in some trouble if used properly. The motion of the gesture, too, adds to the effect...

If you stick your index and pinky fingers out on the right side hand (like they do in rock videos and concerts), and you got, "this far up your ass and your girlfriend cheats on you!"

Wouldn't want to be that guy. Sounds like it would hurt on both sides of the insult!

Chad4Mac