How Do You Tighten an 17" iMac LCD Display?

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by k2fish, Jan 6, 2003.

1. k2fish macrumors newbie

Hi,
    I got a 17" iMac a couple of months ago and love it except for the screen not staying in the same position.
    Is there any way to tighten the arm so the display doesn't fall? I keep it very low when I do most stuff and it works fine. But when I raise it up high to access the CD Tray, etc. it falls back slowly down to about 6" above the desk.
    I am tempted to take a couple of long-nose pliers and try to tighten the Bolts?? with the three holes. Any ideas besides taking it to the Apple store for a week?

Thanks
    k2fish

2. neilt macrumors regular

it isn't supposed to fall. I would take it back.

neilt

3. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

I've never really heard of this-- people were predicting it back when they were released, but this is the first i've ever known of it happening. While you could try finding something to fit the holes, and could probably even tighten it properly, i would definitely take it in. Wouldn't you feel like an ass if you broke it and it wound up costing you money. God only knows how the mechanisms in that arm work...

:)
    pnw

4. k2fish thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your replies, It doesn't really "Fall" it is more like the "Titanic" slipping beneath the waves. I just don't want to leave it at the Apple store for a "few days". when it probably takes five minutes to fix it. But you are right, with my luck I would break it off or something.

5. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Even shipping it off to Apple usually takes no more then a couple days. I've even heard of people shipping it off one day and receiving it back the following day.

6. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

A Japanese company here makes some little rubber pads to increase the stability of the screen... if you do it correctly you can unscrew it, but you need the special ughh.. thing.... to unscrew it. Here is the page... there's a video showing how they unscrew it and put in the little rubber pads...

edit: it seems they are available in the US from Dr.Bott if you're interested

irmongoose

7. k2fish thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you again for all the information, I will check out Dr. Bott.