how do you 'tote' your MBP?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by tehdee, May 19, 2006.

1. tehdee macrumors member

after owning my MBP for a week now, i think it's time to stop wrapping it in a cashmere sweater every time i want to throw it in my knapsack.

now MOST sleevecase producers have finally started rolling out sleeves designed for the new macs, and a few options emerge. i'm definitely not going to buy some huge knapsack with 25 zippers, and a IM CARRYING A LAPTOP LOGO on it, etc... i'm going to get a nice sleevecase, and a sweet backpack from MEC (for all you canucks), or something of the like.

I ordered my girlfriend a sleeve from waterfield about a month ago, and was impressed with the quality, speed of delivery and customer service. it was however a little steep for something that looked fairly oem and not mbp specialized (though the fit is perfect).

Marware has now released their sleeves, but i think the zipper limiting you to horizontal access would encumber easy access when placed vertically in a knapsack.

Binh is a producer i wasnt to familiar with until lately, but their MONOLITH http://www.tombihn.com/page/001/PROD/TBP/TB0330 sleeve looks just as good as the watefield.

any insights, suggestions or recommendations? top loading, and soft as a baby's arse on the inside so as not to scratch my laptop are pretty much the only criteria...

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

I have a Monolith for my MBP. Works really well. I'd recomend it.

3. tehdee thread starter macrumors member

thanks for the reply.

i think i might choose the monolith. i'm just curious as to whether there is protection where the zipper closes, or if it would scratch the laptop as it zips... is the material inside soft? would it scratch the laptop casing?

mac-case is also somethign ive been considering, but it looks a bit cheaper.

4. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Unfortunatley I'm at work right now (and the case is at home). I think there is protection to stop scratching. My MBP has not been scratched yet and I had the same case for my PowerBook for 2 years and it did not scatch either...

5. debrey macrumors member

6. tehdee thread starter macrumors member

thanks for the link. i've gone ahead and ordered the Binh. Figured i'd give it a shot.

I had it narrowed down to that, the Waterfield, and mac-case.com. I needed it to be vertically aligned, and i figure what you sacrifice in bulkiness with the Binh, you gain in protection. that being said, my biggest concern isn't me dropping it down the stairs, it's not scratching up the case. i have my fingers crossed that the inside of the binh is made of a forgiving material.

there's also a sticky/guide at the top of the forums page, that points to a list of several case and sleeve companies. it proved somewhat useful too.

after receiving the binh, maybe ill post some pictures and impressions, in comparison to the watefield design my girlfriend currently uses.

7. twalkabout macrumors newbie

monolith is sweet

i've used the monolith for years, and just got a new one for my 17" mbp. the new monolith does have soft padding protecting where the zipper closes (although i never got scratches on my 15" pb from the zipper before). also, look at arc teryx backpacks (also made in canada). they are much better quality than mec bags. if you have a 15" mbp, the arro 22 is fantastic. it's just too small for the 17" though, so i'm probably gonna pick up the arcteryx spear 24 if it will fit in there.

i also wrote a bit more of a review on the monolith here:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=200472

8. ncook06 macrumors regular

I used to use one of these., and I still have it. Good for me because I could use it by itself or in my messenger bag.

9. Nar1117 macrumors 6502

Yeah man, those are good cases. I also use one.