How do you traditionally celebrate easter in your country?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Temujin, Apr 14, 2006.

1. Temujin macrumors 6502a

Temujin

In Denmark it's a custom to give your loved ones, especially children, chocolate eggs around easter.
    Also children write a "gæ(ae)kkebrev" (gække = to fool someone, brev = letter) to a parent, grand moter/father or other relative, signing the letter with a dot for each letter. The reciever must then guess who wrote this "unsigned" letter. If they don't they have to give the sender choclate eggs, if they do it's the other way around.

We have big traditional lunches with herring :) and snaps :D amongst other things. Basically we eat and drink alot.

What about you guys?

2. rdowns Suspended

rdowns

I'm Jewish. We sleep late, go shopping and order in Chinese food for dinner. Heck, we do this every Sunday.

3. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Hide chocolate eggs for the kids, eat hot cross buns, talk about the Easter Bilby.

4. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

5. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    But if they don't guess, who do they know to send the eggs to? :confused:

Not being religious, I see Easter as a long weekend off work to spend time with my family/friends who are also off. We do the chocolate part (although less in terms of eggs and more in terms of good chocolate) - and have a sit down dinner with roast lamb. Since I live reasonably far from the family home, it's a good opportunity to each other's company.

6. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Many people this year will spend Easter Sunday trying to finish their taxes.

I might continue a project I've never finished: Developing my own algorithm to compute the date of Easter, given the year.

7. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Half the population head for the mountains to go skiing, while the rest of us are just annoyed because everything closes for almost a week. :rolleyes:

Oh, and there's a certain exchange of Easter eggs, preferably filled with or made by candy. :D

8. iGary Guest

iGary

9. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Orthodox or Roman?;)

10. jakochampolska macrumors 6502

I dont do anything on Easter while I'm in america.
    but when I'm in Poland I remember I had the best time of my life :D Everyday we would have a huge dinner and then on Easter sunday we (the kids) would get chocolate and cards and some music cds or braclets. and

THEN the fun begins, on Monday after Easter Sunday no one goes to school or work and everyone runs around and sprays everyone else with water. We'd make water ballons and drop them on people from our block's blacony. You can pour water on anyone and dont have to get worried about them being mad. its so awesome :D

11. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Drink, eat.....talk to family...then get drunk.

Sake!!!!!!!!!!

Bless

12. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

eat chocolate. um. I'd love to do something religious, in a non-relgious way. I wouldn't mind popping into a church and doing a few jigs or whatever goes on in there.

13. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

don't say good things about Poland :eek: I can't go this year, I have to stay and look after the house whilst everyone else pops over there. Such a good country, all down to the people of course. My whole family over there are just so warm and friendly. Spent a birthday over there once. never forget it :)

14. d_and_n5000 macrumors 6502a

d_and_n5000

Straight from a financial book from 1898:
    "The Council of Nice, in the year 325, decreed that all Christiandom should observe Easter on the Sunday following the first full moon after the Spring Equinox."
    Seems to make sense to me, but no clue if it is really true, but it seems to be in the ballpark of correct. So just find the first Sunday after the first full moon of Spring, and there ya go;)

15. mjstew33 macrumors 601

mjstew33

Nothing, just chillin'.

Nothing really special happens around Easter, though.

16. Plymouthbreezer macrumors 601

Plymouthbreezer

About 2PM in the afternoon with the extended family - Gigantic plate of homemade pasta, honey baked ham, beef wellington, mashed potatoes and white asparagus, followed by a loooong Vigil mass at Church. And then a "CrackerBarrel" (coffee, cheese, hors d'oeuvres, etc.) after mass at my grandparents house, where the family stays usually until well after midnight.

Fun stuff. :D

17. Temujin thread starter macrumors 6502a

Temujin

The sender will tell the reciever if he/she doesn't guess it.