How do you Transfer Music to new mac via Firewire

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by whw5, May 23, 2004.

1. macrumors regular

Feb 27, 2004
    I am getting my new PB today and of course is has firewire. The only problem is that all my music is on my old windows computer. I want to transfer is all over to my new mac. Both have firewire and I have a firewire cable so could anyone tell me how to go about doing this?
  2. macrumors 68040

Plug the two together, then turn off the computer you want to get data off of, then turn it on while holding down the T key. This enables firewire disk mode, your computer should now show up as a firewire drive on your new computer and you can move any files you want.
  3. macrumors 68000

Jan 6, 2004
    Cape Cod

Doesn't this only work between Macs? He said he has 1 Windows computer and 1 Mac computer.

You could always try to network the 2 computers.
  4. thread starter macrumors regular

Feb 27, 2004
    Being a crappy old windows we can't get it up and running on our airport network. I just need to know how to transfer the songs from it to my new mac. Both have firewire
  5. macrumors 6502

Jun 2, 2003
    Unfortunately your PC doesnt know how to talk to other computers using firewire. Either you need to have some sort of third party device like a firewire drive or connect them using ethernet or airport.
  6. macrumors 65816

Nov 6, 2003
    akron , ohio
    for fast transfer, you can use either firewire or ethernet .
    now i havent been able to use firewire till now with my roommate's xp laptop. i tried all things , but somehow xp doesnt recognize the connection.

but connecting with ethernet cable was easy. dont even need the crossover cable, just the regular one wd do. so yeah, go thru ethernet