Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Koree

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 19, 2004
Philadelphia
Hello,

Im getting a G5 soon, (instead of a 15 inch Powerbook) and wanna get the standard settings for hardware and upgrade the ram myself. So... How! Don't you have to put the ram in as pairs or something on a G5? If so, what has to be similar between the pair? Do they have to be identical or something, is it just amount of memory or is it speed too? O, and people who have bought their G5s, where did you buy the ram? (internet site please)

Thanks in Advance

Mac Maven

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
I've had a very difficult time tonight installing RAM in my G5. The modules seemed to only want to go one half in but not the other half. Finally I was able to get them in by getting one side in and then the other, but alas the modules don't register. Shouldn't both sides go in and lock down at the same time? And is it mandatory that the modules go into the first open slot on each side, or can you skip to the next pair?

caveman_uk

Feb 17, 2003
Hitchin, Herts, UK
Koree said:
Hello,

Im getting a G5 soon, (instead of a 15 inch Powerbook) and wanna get the standard settings for hardware and upgrade the ram myself. So... How! Don't you have to put the ram in as pairs or something on a G5? If so, what has to be similar between the pair? Do they have to be identical or something, is it just amount of memory or is it speed too? O, and people who have bought their G5s, where did you buy the ram? (internet site please)

Thanks in Advance
A lot of people buy their RAM from crucial. The RAM needs to be installed in pairs.

Falleron

macrumors 68000
Nov 22, 2001
UK
I have many memory modules in and out of G5's over the last 3-4 months. They have to be installed in Pairs (same type + size as far as I am aware). Crucial is a great source of memory. You get the guaratnee its compatible with the G5. You work from the outside pairs to the inside. I think you can use any pair, but you may loose a little performance though (not 100% about that though) . A huge amount of force should not be required. The board may flex a little as you push them in. Make sure the restraining clips are pushed out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.