how do YOU use delicious library?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jelloshotsrule, Aug 19, 2005.

1. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

it seems lots of people have this app, and i've played with the trial version, and have been seriously considering getting it... just wondered: what do you use it for? give me some ideas of how the cool software can be used beyond just having a visual way of cataloguing your media..

2. baummer macrumors 6502a

Ummm...to catalog media? That's what it's built for and that's what I use it for. I don't think it even makes sense to use it for anything else?

3. jelloshotsrule thread starter macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

well for instance, it has the whole "borrowers" thing.. and i think i've heard of some people who create websites with the full catalogue of their dvd collections, etc. directly from the delicious library as a source.

so, things like that, expanding on just the media cataloguing aspect of it....

4. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

Besides the wonderful cataloging functionality, I really like the library feature. If you lend much of your stuff out to family and friends, DL makes it very easy to record items going out, and visually reminds you (via color coding) when something has been out beyond your due date.
    Another nice feature is that you can select any item in your library and use Amazon's site to find similar items for you to consider purchasing.

5. alex_ant macrumors 68020

alex_ant

I have a bunch of old English literature books sitting in tubs in my basement, waiting for me to find time to list them all for sale online somewhere. In the meantime I have these books, in addition to all my other books/music/videos, cataloged in DL. I took photos of each individual book and added them into DL so I can see at a glance what the book looks like and what condition it's in without having to dig it out of its tub. I also labeled each of the tubs, e.g. "Tub 1," "Tub 2," etc., and added this information into DL so when I need to retrieve a book, I know right away which tub it's in.

Excel could do this too, but DL is just neater, and the integration with Amazon is nice, although it could be a lot better. I would appreciate a way to list books for sale on Amazon/Abebooks/Biblio/whatever and have DL keep track of everything. And I think DL just needs more features in general, like report generating and more advanced searching. But it's still young, so I'm sure better things are coming.

6. macbaseball macrumors 6502a

macbaseball

I'm currently adding all the books in my house to Delicious Library. I'm up to 781 books and I'm about half way done. Then again I kinda got whati deserve, as I decided against getting an iSight, so i'm typing all the ISBN codes by hand.

7. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Any comments from those with big libraries of how well DL handles them? I've read a few complaints from people saying that once you get beyond 1,000 entries or so, it seems to drastically slow down? Which has kinda put me off buying it since I have a few thousand books and don't want to go to all that effort of scanning them all if it will prove ultimately useless.

Why am I planning on doing it? Well, I have a bad habit of buying books that I already own but forgot about. I figure that transferring the DL to the iPod means that next time I'm in a bookstore and in doubt, I can look it up to see if I already have it. The lending facility would also be very useful!

8. broken_keyboard macrumors 65816

broken_keyboard

I just use it for admiring the GUI.
    Don't actually have much to catalog, but I know the style of software I like.

9. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

No iSight here either, but my FW MiniDV camera did well!

10. macbaseball macrumors 6502a

macbaseball

Yeah I thought about it, but decided to just to save the money. I also thought about the bar code scanner.

11. asif786 macrumors 65816

asif786

hah, me too. people call me shallow..! :rolleyes:

i'm in the middle of deciding whether i should go digital (i.e. get rid of all my books and dvds etc) or start collecting them.

i've always wanted a large book collection..

OK, sorry for the random insight into my life :rolleyes: ;)

12. macbaseball macrumors 6502a

macbaseball

I would collect books, not get rid of them. If you get deals on first editions, they look good, and then are probably increasing in value. Even if you just buy books new, they still aree a good decoration, plus thye are fun to read. IMO, books will never go out of fashion.