How do you use RW CD's in OS 9.1?

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by awulf, Jun 3, 2002.

1. awulf macrumors 6502

This is probably a simple question with an obvious answere but how do I use ReWritable CD's under Mac OS 9.1? Is there third party software available? Does any one know? Thanks.

2. GyroFX macrumors 6502

3. awulf thread starter macrumors 6502

4. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Have you tried the Apple software Disc Burner yet?

I remember trying it under OS 9.1 and burning to an external Sony CD-RW

5. awulf thread starter macrumors 6502

I don't think that Apple Disk Burner exists under OS 9.1, I can't find it. I know it exists under 9.2 but I don't know if it can RW cd's and my computer can only run up to Mac OS 9.1 or Mac OS X (using unsupported X utility)

6. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Type Disc Burner in this search window:

http://www.info.apple.com/support/downloads.html

You'll find the program Disc Burner 1.0.1 there

System Requirements

* Mac OS 9.1
    * Disc burner works with all Apple built-in CD-RW drives. See below for information about using a non-Apple drive.

7. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

it runs on 9.1...there is a series of updates u will have to make in order for it to all work properly...all of which do not show up in the System Update Control Panel...

at this point I cannot remember them all...so I apologize for not being very helpful...but I thought I'd at least let u know that it does work...

when I get home later I'll check it out unless someone else posts them up here first...;)

8. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Toasties

Toast Titanium (update to the very latest version) handles the cd-rw disc's no problem... I have used them. I would suggest reading the Toast book to figure out exactly what you need to do, since I don't have any cd-rw discs here with me. I believe that all you need to do is launch Toast, put the cd-rw disc into the drive, and tell it to format/prep the disc. Once that is done, you can drag and drop files to it. The book has more detail then that, but it IS easy.

9. britboy macrumors 68030

britboy

First, put the cd-rw in you cd-rw drive.

Launch toast.

Within toast, click on the 'Recorder' menu, and select 'erase'.

You can select either 'quick erase' or the other one. If you're just going to write again within toast, i'd suggest the quick erase, as it's faster (no, really? ;) :p)

That's it. Have you tried doing it like that? Did you bother looking before asking? :rolleyes:

10. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

I KNEW it was easy... I just didn't recall how to do it. IF I had a cd-rw disc here, I would have done it and posted...

Good post britboy.

11. britboy macrumors 68030

britboy

he he... with almost 900 posts, i knew there had to be a good one in there somewhere :D

12. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

The law of numbers dictated that it was bound to happen, eventually... :D

13. macfreek57 macrumors 6502

so can the os 9 finder re-burn or erase? (ok re-WRITE)

14. britboy macrumors 68030

britboy

You didn't just ask that, did you? Please tell me you're not serious about that question.

Under OS 9, there's an obscure menu called 'Special', somewhere in the finder. I believe it's the same one as you would use for restart, shut down, and perhaps one or two other things. If you click on the menu, there an option to 'erase disk'. Tsk tsk, as usual, apple make the simplest of things hard enough to require a brain.... :rolleyes:

15. awulf thread starter macrumors 6502

I tried downloading disc burner 1.0.1 from the apple website but when I tried installing it on my computer but it said that it is not supported. Toast kind of works but I think that the RW abillity has died on it. But thanks for the help :)

16. macfreek57 macrumors 6502

:D :D :D
    c'mon! lay off:D
    [pathetic excuse] i never use os 9 to burn dics and have never tried [/pathetic excuse]

17. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

That is pathetic.... :rolleyes:

18. merman637 macrumors member

1st thing

1st of all i would check to make sure that the rw disc you are using is compatible(i thought all discs were as long as they were the right speed, however an apple tech corrected me after i harrassed him on the phone[not really])...well anyway...make sure of that then make sure your burner is set up correctly.....(seems like a normal checklist to me...?) then open toast and erase the disc(i assume you dont want the info on it...)and burn like any other disc.......simple enough, eh?

19. britboy macrumors 68030

britboy

:D

I think alpha took the words from my mouth :p

Sorry, i couldn't help myself with that response. Everyone has to start somewhere, i know. Enjoy the burning (and the flaming :rolleyes: ).