iPad How do you use your mini vs full size iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by jeme, Dec 28, 2012.

1. macrumors regular

Ok, the mini and screen issue has been discussed and departed a bunch here, my question is how you use you mini, when you have a full size and a MacBook?

I have an iPad 4 and a 13 inch retina pro and got a mini for a gift for Xmas. Debating if I should keep the mini and how it will fit in with the others?

So how do those of you fortunate enough to have both the mini and full size iPad utilize the different form factors?

Thank in advance, I will say this the iPad 4's screen is hard to beat.

2. macrumors 6502

Mini as a travel device. In the car, in the airport, at the coffee shop.

iPad at home, on the patio, at the office, in the hotel room.

3. thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks, so do carry both of them with you? Like in your briefcase or backpack?

4. macrumors 6502

Tikatika

I just got my Mini for Christmas :) but 3 days in:

Mini ... reading in bed (awesome), and on the go with me. I really love it!

iPad 3 ... Everything else! I use it constantly throughout the day at home (am retired) and don't believe I could ever give it up for the Mini alone.

5. Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Mini, travel device for reading, note taking and small stuff like that.

The only regret is getting the wifi, I may sell this one and get the LTE version. I may get a little something extra from work for the holidays and I'll put that towards the LTE mini

6. macrumors 6502

Yes. But the Mini resides in my jacket pocket whereas the iPad is more often in a briefcase or suitcase or home.

7. macrumors 6502a

The iPad mini fits in your jacket pocket? :eek:

That makes the iPad mini more interesting if they add a retina display :)

8. thread starter macrumors regular

Great thanks for the comments, I have not opened my mini yet as I am trying to decide if I should keep it or not, it is black 32GB LTE.

9. macrumors 6502a

Man, iPad Mini is a great christmas gift. No one got me an iPad mini...

To be completely honest, I think having both iPads is a little redundant. I suppose you have to be using both to know for sure, as I thought having an iPhone and an iPad would have been redundant. It really isn't...

10. thread starter macrumors regular

I agree on that the phone and ipad are not redundant - that is why I am debating keeping the mini.

11. macrumors 68040

If you have no issue carting the 4 around where you go, with reading in bed or wherever, the weight and size doesn't matter if you play games or whatever, then why keep the mini?

12. macrumors 6502

this!

the iPad 4 is far superior to the mini in terms of display and speed, and if you only use it at home it's a great device.
    that said, I sold my full size ipad to get the mini because I enjoy reading books while on the train to work every day. for me the normal ipad was to big to take it with me every day and reading on the iphone is tiresome.
    the mini on the other hand fits in my jacket and I don't mind the display not being retina.

13. macrumors 68030

tymaster50

It can either be your full time or part time. Choose one.

14. thread starter macrumors regular

Anyone else using both?

15. macrumors member

I'll be using my previous iPad as primarily a laptop at home or locally with its wireless keyboard. I'll probably tote it once in a while while travelling if it's warranted. I travel almost two weeks out of the month, so the mini will be the easy go to ipad that I can carry in my smaller purse or clutch. There were times, among all my other items, I could barely squeeze my previous ipad in my tote. I could use my iPhone, but the screen can be a strain, even when i pan in, unless for quick research or shorter surfing. It may seem repetitive, but they serve different functions for me that makes each worth it. If I could only have one iPad, though, I'd have to give up the mini....however, the size for me is so new, I may come to realize the larger isn't necessary. I didn't think an iPad could replace my MacBook but now I forget I even have a laptop and only pull it out when I need to print something that isn't compatible with the iPad.

16. macrumors 6502a

BHP41

I have the the iPad 3 and mini. The main one that I use is the mini simply because of the weight and size. It is absolutely perfect for business meeting where I need to take notes and any sort of Travel the mini is just the better option as it will easily slide in to most suit pockets. For me I like to write letters still and mail them. It has that nostalgic feel to it but with a modern twist as they're written on a iPad. The mini is far better for this IMO. If you're at a desk the mini sits at the perfect height to allow comfortable writing. The iPad# was a tad to high. That's all down to personal preference but I think most would agree. For sitting on the couch and just browsing the web. It's a toss up.

Games, mini hands down. For photo editing and showing off your work nothing can beat the iPad3 and the Retina display. I also like the 3 for drawing apps, I use SketchBook Pro and it's great on the mini but I like having the extra screen space on the 3. Again, nothing wrong with the mini just personal preference.

For me if I "had" to sell one it would be the 3 at this point.

17. macrumors 68020

Blorzoga

Full size - at home
    Mini - on the road

----------

You can still return it even if you have opened it.

18. macrumors 68040

I am sure there are just remembering prior threads. Arguments went on about actually needing both. There were instances where I could understand why but I guess they were shot down more often than not to tell the truth. Size and weight IMHO is not a good reason cause the 4 is not that heavy or big and the processor and it's screen far outweigh the mini's size, but that is just my 2 cents.

Do you NEED both? Do you WANT both?

19. macrumors 65816

joshwithachance

Once I got my mini delivered today I no longer felt the need to own a full sized iPad, and sold my 4 on Amazon.

The main things I use a tablet for are web browsing, light-moderate gaming, Tumblr, Twitter, and sometimes jot down notes. The mini accomplishes all of these tasks like a champ, and with extreme convenience and fun.

20. macrumors regular

I have both just because I like both. I like to read books on the mini and it is the one that I take with me now because it is so light and little. The bigger iPad is great for when I want to browse the internet away from my computer and still read text with retina display. (I love retina display for text)

21. thread starter macrumors regular

Do I need both? No, do I want both? Kind of, I am kind of a big guy so the size and weight of the full size are no issue, however th dorm factor of the small one is very convenient.

22. macrumors demi-goddess

Clix Pix

8 miles from the Apple Store at Tysons (VA)
    I have the iPad 3 and the iPad Mini. I love and regularly use both. The iPad Mini is the one which now leaves the house when I go out the door, and the larger, heavier iPad remains at home. The iPad Mini is the one with which I play in bed, and she is so much more comfortable to handle than the larger, regular-sized iPad in that way. The iPad 3 is used most other times around home, usually supported on a stand. The two -- each with 64 GB -- are complementary to one another and they serve as back ups to each other, too; when one needs to be on the charger, no problem, as the other one is ready at hand. Each has its purpose and usefulness in this household and I am very pleased with them!

23. macrumors 6502

lokster

my girlfriend has the mini and its perfect for her, honestly i think the mini is the perfect size for women, with their small hands and handbags its portable

id never trade my ipad 3 for a mini because

1. im too used to the retina display, the mini is pixelated at times when reading
    2. huge display means i can see more things, i dont need to scroll or move around as much.
    3. more ram and graphics.

weight and size is not a problem. :cool:

24. macrumors 6502a

Snap. Same here.

25. thread starter macrumors regular

Cool, thanks to all! Right now I am leaning on returning the black 32gb LTE mini, I have about a week left to return it. Thanks.