How do you wash your car?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by xJulianx, Mar 27, 2007.

1. xJulianx macrumors 6502a

xJulianx

I'm just about to go out and wash my car and I'm interested as to how the rest of you wash your car(s). I personally (after giving it a quick plain water wipe down) use Autoglym:

[​IMG]

It's pretty good stuff. I just tend to use the 'Bodywork Shampoo' and then the 'Super Resin Polish' afterwards. After that I go over everything with a leather. And then on the windows I use the 'Car Glass Polish'. :)

2. bartelby macrumors Core

Same as you!
    Not that I can be bothered to wash the current car.

3. xJulianx thread starter macrumors 6502a

xJulianx

Ahh another Autoglym man! I don't really wash my car that often, once a month at the most, but it's such a nice day today I may just go out and give it a clean. I know some people that religiously clean their cars nearly every other day!

Then again, they have very nice cars...unlike my Vauxhall Corsa 1.2 (2000 reg). Ugh.

4. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

Through the nearest auto car wash ...... I'm a lazy sod :eek:

FJ

5. bartelby macrumors Core

I used to give our Alfa Romeo the full works; top to bottom, inside and out once a month and a wash and shampoo weekly.

I've kinda given our Fiat Stilo a wipe with a damp sponge once in 5 months.

6. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

Depends -

In the winter, I just go to the brushless gas station places. All I really care about is getting salt off of the undercarriage.

In the summer, I try something different almost every time - trying to find what works right for me. Haven't tried Autoglym though (is it available in the US?).

7. xJulianx thread starter macrumors 6502a

xJulianx

I should think it is. I've always seen it as 'the standard in car washing', but perhaps not?

EDIT: I just went to their website and I can tell you it is a British company with only links European sites. I'm sure that you can get a hold of some on eBay, or even at a good car garage?

8. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

Autoglym. It's the only way.

(other than the Mini, I'll pay any old sod to clean that for me if it means I don't have to :D)

9. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

Wash the car? Shiiiiit, that thing gets washed when it rains! :D

(or we just take it to the muppets up the road for £5)

10. bartelby macrumors Core

I wondered what Kermit was up to now-a-days!

11. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

12. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Rain is my friend.

If a bird takes a dump on my car, I scrub it off with a window wiper at the petrol/gas station.

Once a year, I'll take it in and get the inside and outside washed and vacuumed for around $20 US. Actually, I'm going to start doing it more often.

13. dcv macrumors G3

With a little white top and plenty of soapy water... :rolleyes: :D

14. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

15. xJulianx thread starter macrumors 6502a

xJulianx

I'm getting the general impression that the MacRumors community don't care too much for clean cars. :p

16. bartelby macrumors Core

When do we get chance to clean cars when we're on here all day!?!:confused:

17. Black&Tan macrumors 6502a

Black&Tan

I'm a little picky. I use Zaino products, which is a polymer based wash and polish system.

http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc

I usually start with the tires, using a tire cleaner such as Westleys Bleche-White. Then I rinse the car overall with clean water to get off the larger dirt particles. I then begin to wash with Zaino Z-7. I don't use a regular sponge, but a cotton washing pad with a foam core. I do all the horizontal surfaces first, then the sides, but only half way down the car to avoid brake dust and larger dirt particles. Then I wash the lower half of the car. Finally I wash the wheel rims. I use a synthetic chamois to remove the water from the bodywork and a regular chamois for the wheels and tires

Finally, I apply Zaino Z-2 car polish. If I'm feeling particularly nutty, I'll follow up with a Z-5 Scratch & Swirl hider and a Z-6 Gloss enhancer. For the tires, I'll follow up with Eagle-1 tire dressing gel to achieve a rich black.

Yes it's a little overkill, but the results are worth it. Incidentally, this all goes on a restored 89 Mustang GT, with a new paint job and custom body panels.

18. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Complete with denim short-shorts?

19. blackscooby macrumors 6502

blackscooby

I use nothing but Zymol products.
    Both the wash and cleaner wax. Smell fantastic :)

20. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

I just don't bother. The weather is so silly at the moment that there's no point in washing it. It'll rain, then get windy, then become sunny = permanently dirty car. Plus not washing it conserves water.

21. oblomow macrumors 68000

oblomow

I never wash my car. I wait for the rain. Just clean the headlights and the front windscreen occasionally. Green cars as the best, nobody can tell
    that they'll get black marks on the trousers when they lean against the car...

22. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

If/when I have a nice car I take care of it fairly well. I run the current family van through the car wash. Sometimes I wash it in the summer just for the fun of playing with the water with my kids.

23. ErikCLDR macrumors 68000

I've had my car 3 days and it needs a wash. I did a little off-roading in it, it does very well. I cleaned some of it off before I got home so my parents wouldn't completely wonder what I did.
    Before there was mud on the 1/4 panels and mirrors.

[​IMG]

24. MultiM macrumors 6502

MultiM

DIY Car Wash or Automatic car wash. Depends on how much time I'm willing to spend on it.

25. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Used to wash my baby every weekend and wax her at least once a month. :eek: But she hasn't been waxed in well over 1.5 years now. :( I don't deserve her.

Use Zymol shampoo. Worked in sections (top to bottom) but continually rinsing to lessen the chance of water spots. Don't use a sponge, use a special cloth that's softer than a chamois.

For drying I use an Absorber.

Attached Files: