How do your uber PC friends deal with the g5?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by dho, Oct 4, 2003.

1. dho macrumors 6502

shortly after the announcement of the g5, my peecee friends had some very interesting reactions.

one of my friends now wants to buy a g5, while another spends all of his time telling me it is all steve and his bs.

what kind of responses have you come across?

2. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

Re: How do your uber PC friends deal with the g5?

-dho

One of my IT guys immediatley threw a bunch of benchmarks scores at me with the disabled hyperthreading and the GCC compiler aspects annotated.

Now he's being very quiet, munching on his words.

3. CrackedButter macrumors 68040

CrackedButter

I have a friend who was at first not interested in Apple and he was quite happy with windows.

Then i got my iPod...

Now he bought a second hand 5GB for his windows machine.

then i told him about the G5, he was in shock and liked the thought of not having to upgrade his machine in like forever...

It appeals to him and i was thinking about buying one, all he said say was "wow, if you get one of those".

I reply with "yeah i know", then i add that there will be dual 3Ghz next year, he just shakes his head with a smile.

4. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

Some of em seem to think its pretty cool, while others think cuz its a mac it will suck royally.....

5. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Re: Re: How do your uber PC friends deal with the g5?

I've seen it both ways.

Lots of benchmarks (some where Apple wins), and news of faster Xeons and Opterons coming. :rolleyes: Some techies tired of Windows, looking at new G5s with OS X.3. :) Not that most of us will be buying new computers right now... but I am still thinking of buying a new Laptop eventually. I do want to see the new 12" in person first. Maybe hold off for an new iBook. Dunno. The 'Books are still pretty popular, even if they are only G3/4.

Most of the people I know are happy with their multi-GHz Win2000 machines (except for the security issues, ;) of course). But I think the future looks good for Apple. Finally getting some respect with the Unix-based OS and IBM chips.

I still hear a lot of "Macs are toys... and they can't even run my favorite game". :rolleyes: Ok. Think about that one for a second.

6. dho thread starter macrumors 6502

something I thought I might add is that the anti steve friend also said the following when i told him i was in web design:

wow, you speak java?
    where did you learn?

7. dho thread starter macrumors 6502

I also have a friend with an emachine who was drooling overmy imac 500:)

8. aphexist macrumors member

Don't try to blame idiocy on Windows, or others might try to blame smugness on Mac OS.

I am currently a Windows/Linux/Solaris user, and the release of OS 10 caught my eye initially because I am a fan of UI design. I was interested because it looked cute and edible, but I was skeptical whether I could work better on a "beginner's" interface. I finally bought my girlfriend an iBook to use her as a test bed, and I was surprised how I was able to seamlessly move around and get things done, even on a 12" laptop screen with 128mb of RAM.

When my new Powermac comes in, I am going to start using it as my main workstation and see how things go. I don't think it will revolutionize anything I do, but I do expect to have a great user experience and to use what I observe to design my own interfaces. When my new Powerbook comes in, I expect to have a cool-looking laptop. I already have gone through two iPods and they are undeniably the best out there.

My name is Gustave Adolphus and I am a software developer.

9. dho thread starter macrumors 6502

aphexis:

i am not trying blaming it on windows at all

my attempted implication was that generally the people that blatantly bash macs tend to be the ones with very little knowledge about computers

I apologize for this coming out wrong

there are many misguided users on every platform and that was an example of one of them

10. ColoJohnBoy macrumors 65816

ColoJohnBoy

My friends that I've told about it just kind of sniff, and ignore it. They don't say a word. But when I showed one of them the insideof a 1.8 GHz at the Apple Store, he gasped, and his mouth kind of hung open. It was wonderful. He told me later he was amazed at how organized and pretty and well-thought-out the inside was. He said no matter what he did he couldn't get his custom built PC to look so nice.

11. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

MoparShaha

Many of my friends who use Windows are all of a sudden showing an interest in Macs :D. Even in classes at school, people are mentioning G5's. I'm actually expecting a few of them to switch.

12. Makosuke macrumors 603

I've seen the G5s generate a lot of interest, but what baffles me are the people who, as soon as you mention one, have this knee-jerk "those benchmarks are all lies, it's really slow and overrated" reaction. You don't have to talk about its speed, or that you want one, or anything else--just mention one and they feel obligated to insult it and Apple.

Although there's plenty to nit-pick about over Apple's published benchmarks, I have yet to see a real world test that didn't show the G5 to be at the very least competitive with a DP Intel or AMD box, and in many cases they seem to come out ahead.

It makes me wonder if the knee-jerk folks have some deep-seated fear of a non-x86 chip actually equalling (or--heaven forbid--besting) their platform of choice. I, at least, learned a while ago to accept that the chips I use aren't necessarily the fastest on earth end, but do what I want just fine.

13. Veldek macrumors 68000

Veldek

Well, I have to say that my friends didn't care. They're all gamers, so a Mac isn't really a choice for them. There are just one or two where I began to tell them about Macs and where I see chances to switch them perhaps. But I don't think they would be in market for a G5.

14. dizastor macrumors 6502a

dizastor

PC vs. MAC, the neverending saga

My PC friends think the G5 is really cool looking, but none of them would ever switch I don't think. Sometimes you are just more comfortable with what you know.

I do know, however that I have not doubted my decision to switch since I did so in June of 2000.

15. eclipse525 macrumors 6502a

eclipse525

The average Humaniod are creatures of habit. Most will stick with what they know and are use to. Few will show interest in other options. WHILE the brave will jump right in.........BUT actually...there's nothing to be brave about, if it sucks then you can always go back BUT most don't. MuwwwaaaaHHHHHH!!!

~e

16. VegetaPunk macrumors 6502

An emachine!!! That poor Bas..... As you can see Im not fond of them, my brother got one for free and hes thinking about throwing it away. LOL

Anyway my PC friends (that know about computers) basically say "Ya I hear its pretty fast....." Other friends (dont know about computers) "Why do you use a Mac??? They Suck!" :rolleyes:

The think keeping my friends from switching and me from upgrading is price :( there expensive...

17. markjones05 macrumors 6502a

markjones05

At least apple is getting alot of ink as well as word of mouth publicity as of late. Its all due there boost in advertising. I take credit for switching two people over this last weekend.

18. eclipse525 macrumors 6502a

eclipse525

yeah...they'll get a lot more ink if they land that deal of 150,000 laptops for the school system. They say it's either them or Dell.....love to see the outcome of this little battle.

~e

19. dho thread starter macrumors 6502

eclipse525:

they beat dell at VT:D

unfortunately we might have to wait untill the g5 goes into the PB-G5 before we see apple making a deal like that:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

but you never know;)
    :end smiley spasm:

20. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

many pc users i know thought the G4 tower was very cool and when my wife got one in 2000, many pc users came to her office at work to check it out and most liked it

i worked with a pc tech that hated macs, and most people too...and when a G4 was stored near his work area, he would literally kick them and shove them around

i think the G5 will bring a lot of interested and curious pc users but they will not be awed by the 2 ghz chip when they have a chip in the P4 that goes 3.2 ghz

21. Daveman Deluxe macrumors 68000

Daveman Deluxe

I don't like people like that. It's sort of like the Hell's Angels--if a Hell's Angel comes across ANYTHING with two wheels that isn't a Harley, he'll trash it. Seriously.

I remember arguing with my friends about Macs and PCs in sixth grade.

"The Mac is faster."
    "Nuh-uh!"
    "Yuh-huh!"
    "Nuh-uh!"

Continue ad infinitum. :D

Wait, it's still like that! :eek:

22. David_be macrumors newbie

People will be more interested in mac when Microsoft will show out his Windows Longhorn/Palladium (even if the tenth of it is true...).

In Europe, Medias didn't talk at all of the coming of the G5 (I've just seen once a advertising on TV).

I hope , that will change during 2004...

http://www.petitiononline.com/msn64mac/petition.html

23. srobert macrumors 68020

srobert

This is the reaction I usually get...

[​IMG]

either that or they start screaming and fling feces at me.

24. eclipse525 macrumors 6502a

eclipse525

Most likely the deal has to be made before year's end because the want to implement it 1st o the year. The G4's will be just fine for their needs. It's not that their going to do any hardcore video editing or 3D rendering and even so, they can pull it off just fine.

Here's another article that might be of interest....

http://www.businessweek.com/print/technology/content/oct2003/tc2003101_8543_tc056.htm?tc

~e

25. Waluigi macrumors 6502

I have a lot of friends and collegues in denial that a 'MAC' could be remotely good because it 'can't play computer games'. Then again, most people I know are drooling over it, and have begged me to use it, and even just touch it....

I love my G5!!!

--Waluigi