How does Apple Care work?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by paperinacup, Jul 25, 2005.

1. macrumors 6502

Is this like a replacement plan where lets say I bought a Powerbook and 2 years down the road I've had 10 repairs on it. At that point do they replace it with the latest Powerbook or a refurb of the 2 year old one I already have?

2. Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

If your kit develops a fault within the warranty period it will be repaired for free under the extended warranty. I would imagine that in some exceptional cases people have had replacement systems, but that's not the general rule of how it works AFAIK.

3. thread starter macrumors 6502

Hmm I am thinking I'll just get it anyway, just to be on the safe side.

4. macrumors 6502a

applecare is definately a good idea. it's worth noting, however, that it can be purchased up to a year after the purchase date of the computer. so you might want to spend the money you would spend on applecare now on a better computer, and then buy the applecare 11 months after you buy the computer.

5. reh
    macrumors 6502a

I recently had a 2.5 year-old iBook replaced with a brand new model via AppleCare after it had it's fifth problem requiring a mail-in.

6. macrumors G3

:eek:
    "Hey.. apple.. my PowerBook just suddenly shrank 2 inches. I could have sworn it was a 17" er! Send me a new one?"

Anywhoo, I'm gonna buy me some apple care on April 15, 2 weeks before my warranty wears out, on my birthday... to get me a job application. (I need a steady income!!)

7. thread starter macrumors 6502

Thats exactly what I wanted to know. If something goes terribly wrong would they actually replace instead of continuasly try to repair it.

8. macrumors 6502a

drake

The way I see it, you give them a pile of money, and they take it.

9. macrumors regular

I wish Dell's warranty worked like that... unfortunately it seems that it doesn't. Glad my next Mac will be replacing my Dell laptop.

10. macrumors 601

eva01

i was able to trade in a faulty ibook for the money back and get my current powerbook for only 500 dollars after the 1000 back from the ibook

11. macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Dell's warranty is better for what you get. With AppleCare, you get nothing if it's your own fault. You only get repairs if the problem is due to a manufacturing defect or something. Of course, that's something they should cover for free, as it's not my fault their product only worked for 17 months (for example).

With Dell, at least they cover accidents if you get the right protection. Reasonable price, too.

12. macrumors 68020

Macky-Mac

that's a definite maybe yes and maybe no and it all depends on what the problem is and how they're feeling about things that day.........there's nothing in writing that says you get a replacement after a certain number of attempts at repair.......but some people do get replacements.....and some don't