How does Apple Education store work?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ieani, Jan 10, 2006.

1. ieani macrumors 6502a

ieani

I want to get a Nano but Im taking a year off of school so I was going to have my sister buy it for me. Yet I just easily logged onto the education store pretending to be a student without a problem. Are the roadblocks later on?

2. suntzu macrumors regular

I've ordered tons of stuff from them as a student (thru the EDU store) and I doubt they check every order. It's probably like airport screening. If you usually get caught in it, then buy it MSRP.

3. ieani thread starter macrumors 6502a

ieani

So I can pretend to be my sister and will not ever have to prove it?

4. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

When my mother bought her PowerBook G4, she put down the name of my college and used my education discount, Apple never asked questions.

5. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I've ordered once for my cousin legitamatly and at the time was asked to scan and fax them me the college ID.

Once i had done this, no problem since. I alway's order for Education store now. 5% isn't too much off apple back for them to worry...

6. ieani thread starter macrumors 6502a

ieani

Ok just bought a 4GB Ipod nano with no problems. I hope my sister doesnt plan on replacing her mini anytime this year. :)

7. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

You may get audited, i.e. you might get a request for proof of eligibility. There's no guarantee that you won't. It seems to be random who they choose, and I've heard that it's more probable with a higher price purchase.