How does Apple "validate" student ID

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Totalshock, Nov 13, 2003.

1. Totalshock macrumors member

Hey guys,

I'm wondering if anyone can fill me in on how Apple validates student IDs on orders made online.

I'm not a student, but my girlfriend is, and I'd like to use her ID to make an order. Normally, this wouldn't be a problem... I'd tell her I'm doing it, and if they check up on it, she'll play along.

Problem is... what I'm intending to get is for her, and I'd like it to be a surprise.

So my question is this... other than needing a student ID from a recognized institution to log in and make an order, what else is involved with ordering with a student discount? What's the whole process like? Is there any chance of me ordering with my girlfriend's student info, and a) getting the product I order and b) her not finding out about it?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

I ordered a 12" iBook G4 from Apple on the 3rd or so of this month using my EDU discount. As soon as I told them what school I went to, without hesitation or even anywhere near time to look up even if the school existed (which I know it doesn't exist in their database even though it's legit) he asked me what I wanted to buy and the order went through no problem. If you order over the phone you shouldn't have a single problem. I don't know if it's exactly valid to use somebody elses school even if it is a gift for them though.

3. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

in both the apple store and online its easy.
    in store you present an id.
    they dont even ask about yr of graduation.
    online you just go to the edu store, find or enter your school, and you're set.
    my guess as to why its not uber-checked? for one, it takes manpower to call or search school databases for students and/or faculty. Also, its a tax write off for apple (i believe) so they dont mind giving away the discount like candy.
    Logically, they might follow up on one in ten orders. So its not a stringent test.
    Ethically, you've reached a gray area, but I cant judge as I bought my computer right on the cusp of my graduation from college, endangering my student status.*
    --Carly

*in my defense, apple does say the academic year is july 1-june 30...;-)

4. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

Yeah, online or on the phone they don't do anything to validate it besides asking what school you go to. When I bought my first PowerBook I was two years from graduating from high school but I said "Oh, I am looking into going to..." and listed a few colleges I was interested in and the Apple rep made a few suggestions and then we were down to business with ordering my PowerBook. With my new PowerBook, I just entered the zip code for my school and hit "agree" to the disclaimer and there I was ordering for 15% off. No ID checks at all.

5. dr_fate macrumors member

I thought it was 10%? Am I wrong on this one?

6. ColoJohnBoy macrumors 65816

ColoJohnBoy

Nope, no ID checks when ordering online. The only time Apple does verify student status is if you sign up for the student developer program. Then they actually contact the school with your name and ID number and verify that, yes, you are indeed a student there.

I would reccommened everyone use the educational discount when buying things like Virtual PC and Microsoft Office. The less money those greedy little buggers get from us, the better.

7. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

I thought it was 15% for PowerBooks...either way, I got it for over $300 off. I ended up getting the 1.25 GHz 15" with the 5400 RPM HD upgrade, a RAM upgrade, .Mac, and priority shipping all for $100 more than if it a base model retail price.

8. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

i really doubt they will follow up on it, but it's technically a violation of terms. because you will have to pay for the machine, it's yours, even if you give it "back" to her as a gift. edu. discount terms specifically mention how the purchased hardware cannot be sold or given to others.

i hear they might ask for a fax of the id, but i don't think it's very common.

regardless, make sure she doesn't need to purchase another hardware until after july. you can only buy one discounted per academic year (july 1 to june 31)

9. hamfist macrumors newbie

for online orders it is purely the 'honor' system.

10. yamabushi macrumors 65816

yamabushi

If you were a purchasing agent for a student it would make sense to use the edu discount.

11. Ryan1524 macrumors 65816

Ryan1524

what if i'm going to go to that school?? i'm not there yet, i don't have the student id for that school yet, but i plan to there if i get accepted, or even if i don't get accepted, the machien will still be used for study purposes...am i still allowed to use the edu discount? i'm still in high school and any number i put in on the student id field on the apple edu site works. but i just need to know if i can get into any trouble for this.

technically i'm not wrong since i'm gonna use it for school anyway...but i'm not officially signed on any school yet.

btw...i'm in Canada, so there's no listed edu discount for High Schools. just university and college students. :(

12. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

I think if your accepted you can get an edu discount for college but you have to be accepted to a university . There is no discoutn for kids in high school

13. manitoubalck macrumors 6502a

manitoubalck

Re: How does Apple "validate" student ID

Posting on an open internet fourm is probabley not a good start.

14. manitoubalck macrumors 6502a

manitoubalck

I find Cash always helps, but with apple maybe not so much.

15. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

I got accepted when I was in high school, I even told the guy straight up on the phone that I was still in high school and wouldn't be a college student for a good year and some odd months but he didn't seem to care. All he asked me is what colleges I was thinking of attending and then mentioned that his brother really liked going to school in Chicago and then asked me what I wanted to order with my PowerBook edu order.

16. kanker macrumors 6502

The discount starts at about 10% for computers, up to maybe 15% (maybe), but the real deal is on Applecare- about 30% off

Kevin

17. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

I'd assume under normal circumstances that Applecare provides a higher profit margin - so they can better afford to discount it.

Of course with all the 15" PB screen problems it's possible Applecare isn't a cash cow for the company. ;-)

18. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Order it online under her name, but pay for it yourself. If they need you to fax in the proof, you'll have it. And I don't think she'll be mad, unless she was planning on using the discount herself. You can only use it on one laptop and one desktop per year.

19. OziMac macrumors 6502

This is one area where Apple is super generous.

I am (or was - just graduated) a student in Australia. I'm no longer enrolled, but my student card is valid until 28 Feb 2004. Apple Australia honoured it several times after I finished without question, and when I bought from the online store they didn't even ask to see it.

I brought my student card along when I was in the US. Despite the terms on the online Apple Store, at the Apple Store in Roosevelt Field they accepted it immediately. All they did was photocopy it.

20. papersushi macrumors regular

It's all bases on honor system. Pretty much as long as you can name a school, you will be able to get your educational discount.

However, Apple does do some random audit from time to time. You will be obligated to pay the difference if you are found out indeed not enrolled in the school you have claimed on the phone or web site.

It's always good to be an honest person. If you are not a college student, just go to your local community college register a single unit class before you buy anything under educational discount.

:)