How does AppleCare for Ipod work?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by joshua_msu, Sep 21, 2004.

1. joshua_msu macrumors regular

joshua_msu

My iPod seems to be broken, and it is still in the warranty period. But since it is more than six months into the warranty, I will have to pay 29.99 S and H for it to get fixed. What kind of crap is that?

Anyways, if I buy AppleCare now, which I can get for 47 on an Edu discount, can I make a claim right away with it? Also, when I do make the claim, how do I go about getting it fixed? Do I have to mail it in or what?

Thanks guys,
    Joshua

2. TLRedhawke macrumors 6502

You'll have to mail it in no matter what. Apple has opted to service all iPods in house. You can make a claim right away on the AppleCare, especially since you're still under the regular warranty. Just talk to Apple, telling them the problem, and they'll mail you the empty box to send the iPod back in. I'd yank all the songs off of the thing if at all possible (if you don't have them backed up anyway) because they may swap the thing instead of repairing it.

3. joshua_msu thread starter macrumors regular

joshua_msu

With the AppleCare, will I still have to pay the 29.99 S an H fee that is in effect six months into warranty?

4. t300 macrumors 6502a

t300

I really doubt it. I have never had to pay to send my iPod's in. If they say you do, you CAN haggle with them to convince to do otherwise.

5. earthtoandy macrumors 6502

can you take it to an apple store?

and yeah you shouldnt have to pay shipping. talk to them til its a reasonable deal

6. TLRedhawke macrumors 6502

They won't service them at an Apple Store, though they may send it out from there for you. They want to reserve the ability to swap the machine instead of repairing it.

7. jackieonasses macrumors 6502a

jackieonasses

what you do is...order the box of the internet. really you go to ipod troubleshoot and they wont even ask what happened to it. oh ya...its free!

8. Elan0204 macrumors 65816

Elan0204

joshua_msu, since your iPod is more than 6 months old, you must have a 3G iPod. The $29.99 policy started with 4G iPods, so you are grandfathered in under the terms of the old warranty. If an Apple Rep tells you otherwise, be sure to correct them, and ask them to confirm with a supervisor.

9. earthtoandy macrumors 6502

thats what i meant. i think they will trouble shoot it and then decide to send it out for you

10. hcuar macrumors 65816

hcuar

Ok... that sucks... You have to pay 30 bucks even if you paid for the Apple Care warrenty. They are soaking everyone. I can't believe that... Anyway... I saw the Apple Store give an immediate replacement of a new Mini to a guy. They said... "Yup, you got a problem. Let us go back and get a new one."

11. Lau Guest

My bloke's 3G iPod packed up (within a year, doesn't have apple care) and when he phoned up to get it sorted, a woman said he would have to pay £30. When he phoned up later with credit card details the man he spoke to said "I have no idea why they were going to charge you for that, because it should be free. I'll send the box out now for you". Perhaps the woman was confused by the 4G/3G thing as mentioned above, and the bloke was right.

So, I'd say just phone back because the next person might say something completely different!

12. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Sweet lord, there's a fee to send a 4G back to them? What happened to all those people who had trouble with their 4G iPods back in late July/early August? (I believe the problem had to do with weird sounds through the earphone jack whenever you switched songs, or when the buffer had to be filled by the harddrive.) They weren't charged for their iPods to be sent back, were they?

13. EGT macrumors 68000

EGT

I ordered my 4th gen when it was released. Got it a few weeks after. It had the audio bug so I rang apple about it. I also bought the Apple care protection plan for the Ipod, got that signed up over the phone etc. The guy said he would send out a box for me to send the Ipod back to get repaired. As of yet i've received nothing...

I'm not sure if you have to pay to send it back. I'd hope not.