how does binary relate to the alphabet?

Discussion in 'Community' started by phreakout13, Feb 23, 2004.

1. phreakout13 macrumors 6502

Jan 4, 2004
    South Eastern MA
    Thanks everyone for teachng me binary earlier. Now that I've converted 0s and 1s to 1s through 9s, how do i make them into letters and such? I know everything is based on languages, but how did they use the keyboard to write them? Binary, right? If anyone knows how to make the numbers letters, please tell me! Thanks! P.S. Am I an ass for caring?
  2. Krizoitz macrumors 6502a

Apr 26, 2003
    Wakayama, Japan
    Of course that changes if you are using UNICODE to encode your alphabet :) Basically binary is just a way of counting, just like decimal (base 10) or hexidecimal (base 16). Its actually easier to convert between hex and binary than decimal.

So all you have to do is figure out the numerical value for the particular encoding system you use. Once you figure that out you just calculate each value.

I am curious as to why you are doing this.
  3. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

Sep 13, 2003
    Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    I thought Unicode matched ASCII when the first 9 bits are 0.
  4. phreakout13 thread starter macrumors 6502

Jan 4, 2004
    South Eastern MA
    i don't know... just to learn more
  5. jefhatfield Retired

Jul 9, 2000
    pretty much in the early days of computer had to often memorize this stuff

and besides that and not having the qwerty keyboard we use for entering info, they had to practically be a math major since processors did not have a math co-processor and a lot of the "work" had to be done by human beings

thank god i don't have to study that in my college studies in computers...that would honestly suck

this semester i am in a computer graphic design pre-press class and i am studying how things used to be done in the printing industy before software...oh my god, talk about tedious and difficult...well, thank god for computers and software

in a way, computers have extended our range and made people with few skills be able to achieve a lot, but that has taken out the quality of people who work in the computer/computer graphics industry and standards for computer techies and computer artists have gone down in the industry as a whole

next time you see an old national geographic, look at the quality of the print, the composition, the negative space, the attention to detail...that stuff was great and had a real signature on it

today's stuff *ads especially, is so generic and obviously mass produced on computer with very little attention to artistry and detail since it's so easy for the computer to do it all and it takes a lot of the human character out of it

i could say the same thing about big budget movies and the computer graphics' generic look it adds to much of a movie is based around the cgi stuff and not the plot...the movies of old which were big budget were expected to have a strong script in the first place

so even though computers have helped more than they hurt, there have been some downsides to all this technology