How does games like Counterstrike profit vs games like WoW

Discussion in 'Games' started by WillMak, Nov 14, 2006.

1. WillMak macrumors 6502a

Jul 29, 2005
    One thing I have always been curious about is how video games profit their companies. Games like Wow make sense to me since it provides both a base profit (the purchase of the game) along with monthly income. However, how do games like Counterstrike make profit? How was Valve able to continue on for 6 years (is halflife the only games they make?) running only on the profits they made from halflife?
  2. mgmktx macrumors member

May 15, 2006
    Well with Steam they have many other games you can purchase through Valve. Also, there are a lot of people still buying new CS/CS:S accounts all the time
  3. Dagless macrumors Core

Jan 18, 2005
    Fighting to stay in the EU
    Base profit on WoW? I thought you could legally download the discs off their own servers? Granted people still buy the game in shops, but you get a week or so free with it then.

Counterstrike profits because it's so damn good everyone (not everyone really) wants it. If it was crap and nobody bought it then it wouldn't profit. Remember though; WoW is relatively new. MMO's only got popular in the last few years alone. Games were making profits before subscription based MMO's, just not as much as Blizzard are currently making!

Also there are running costs to take into account. Servers etc. That's the problem with online games running on major servers opposed to hosted servers with CS.
  4. gloss macrumors 601

May 9, 2006
    Because Half-life still moves quite a few copies. People continue to buy it over the years.

WoW is a huge cash cow, but it also requires non-stop attention to keep the servers running and the player base moderated and the new content coming. Valve made and released Half-life, and now just updates it occasionally with tweaks here and there. And people keep buying it.