Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

flat6

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 24, 2004
I just installed this awesome widget (pearLyrics) that automatically drops in lyrics for songs into iTunes as I play them. Which is great. However, I would have thought that doing a Spotlight search for them would make the song show up. So, if I remember one line of a song, I can punch into Spotlight and voila, the song is revealed. But it doesn't seem to want to do that. Any ideas?

Cliffs: Have songs with lyrics under the Get Info > Lyrics part of iTunes. Spotlight doesn't seem to search there though.

killuminati

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2004
If you use a widget called "Sing that iTune", it saves the lyrics to your hardrive so you can spotlight them.

anaxamander

macrumors member
Sep 30, 2005
Spotlight isn't set up for lyrics. Spotlight is the front end to the new Tiger metadata tools. They only go so far in getting a few pieces of information. You can see what it gets yourself by opening a Terminal.app window and typing:

mdls /path/to/your/song.mp3

and you won't see that information there. All that means is that Apple decided (arbitrarily) to only go so far - I remember seeing some metadata tool that went a little further, but that was before iTunes5, so I doubt lyrics would be included.

On an mp3, lyrics are stored on the USLT (unsyncronized lyrics) tag - on an m4a they are stored on the "©lyr" atom. Apple essentially decides whatever atom name they want - they are the de-facto standard.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.