How does Kingston ValueRAM work in G5 Powermacs?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by 50thVert, Aug 8, 2005.

1. 50thVert macrumors regular

Hey every1,
    I bought a Kingston 1GB DDR333 ValueRAM stick to upgrade my Mac Mini a while back and it worked flawlessly, so i picked up another stick today to bump my G5 PM to 2GB when it arrives. I just have one question....will ddr333 ram work in the PM? I threw it in my XP machine, and it will run ddr400 at 2.5-3-3-7 timings all day long, it just doesnt have the embedded ram tables for ddr400.

Will the G5 accept this ram?
    -Zach

2. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

PowerMac G5's require PC3200 (400 MHz) RAM in matched pairs. You cannot install singles.

The ValueRAM are not a great choice for Mac because Kingston do not guarantee their compatibility in a Mac. In all likelihood, the PowerMac is going to read the SPD of the ValueRAM PC2700 (333 MHz) and either turn it off or fail to boot. If it does work out of spec, then you are cruisin' for a bruisin' later on when the machine starts crashing or kernel panicking every time you push it hard.

Hope you can take the RAM back.

I recommend that you stick to RAM that is tested and guaranteed compatible with your model Mac, from a reputable vendor that offers a lifetime warranty and a no-cost return if it doesn't work.

3. 50thVert thread starter macrumors regular

i have two sticks of the 1GB valueram. I can return it if it doesnt work. So you think the G5 will read the SPD Tables before booting or just assume its good ram and go for it?

Also, where should i get my apple-tested ram from? Will it be as cheap as the Kingston ($100/1GB stick)?

4. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Well, my recommendation in case you didn't pick it up the first time, was not to try putting PC2700 RAM in a PC3200 machine, period. It's gonna fail now or fail later. Either way...

Have a look at Data Memory Systems They have reasonably priced RAM that they test specifically on Macs. I have delt with them for over 5 years. They are currently at $118 per 1 Gb module. Don't delay too long though, DDR 1 Gb pricing is going up worldwide. it went up about 15% last month and is expected to keep rising until the new year.