How does Microsoft Virtual PC - 7.0.1 work?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by joey4127, Apr 9, 2005.

1. joey4127 macrumors 6502

joey4127

Do I need to install a version of Windows on to it or what?

Thanks

2. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

All Virtual PC does is simulate the x86 processor architecture on the PPC based chip in your Macintosh.

You can buy VPC bundled with a copy of 2000 or XP or whatever, but you will need to install Windows on top of it.

3. joey4127 thread starter macrumors 6502

joey4127

On version Tracker it's $130...What does that come with? I already have a copy of XP from my other PC.

4. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

I'm pretty sure that VPC will work with standard XP discs though keep in mind that you will still have to go through activation.

5. Plymouthbreezer macrumors 601

Plymouthbreezer

Depends on what package yo buy. One comes with a copy of XP, one assumes you own a copy of it already.

6. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

I bought Virtual PC 7 through my school yesterday (got a good discount), and installed it last night. I bought the version that doesn't come with Windows, and installed Windows 2000, which I had lying around from an old PC. Anyway, the installation was very straightforward. Just install VPC, start it up and insert the Windows installation disc. Then reboot the virtual PC so that it boots from the disk and follow the standard Windows installation procedure. No trouble to get it working at all.

I had worried about performance based on things I had read in these forums, but I find the performance very good on my 1.33 GHz 12" Powerbook. I'm using it to run PSpice and the Xilinx Verilog IDE (electrical engineering software), as well as to check web pages I design in Windows. It's obviously not as fast as a real PC, but the performance is perfectly acceptable.

7. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

VPC emulates the whole computer and not just the processor. That's why it's called Virtual PC and not Virtual x86.

8. iBunny macrumors 65816

What are any good free alrernitives? Say I have 1 simple program that is extremly light/uses low resources... but its only avilable for windows. is their a free basic alternative than paying for Virtual PC. Or atleast a cheaper sub 50$ one?

9. JeDiBoYTJ macrumors 6502a

JeDiBoYTJ

10. whocares macrumors 65816

whocares

<lame joke>

Like a snail on Prozac.

</lame joke>

11. Celeron macrumors 6502a

I have VPC 7.0.1 on my 15'' Powerbook that I use at work. My 15'' PB is a 1.5ghz G4 with 1gig of ram. Windows 2000 runs very slow. It works, but its extremely slow. Installing Windows took forever. Virtual PC is much faster on my PC but then again it doesn't have to do any processor emulation.

12. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

There are two major open source x86 emulators. One is Bochs. There are versions for both MacOS 9 and MacOS X. It is slow and just takes a wee bit of work to set up. The second is QEMU. It is the emulation engine in the Darwine project, iEmulator, and other x86-emulators. However, you are not going to find a MacOS X emulator whose performance that even comes close to Virtual PC.