How does Migration Assistant Work For New Computers?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by rekhyt, Sep 25, 2010.

1. macrumors 65816

I'm quite curious on how Migration Assistant works. Probably in a few more years when OS X 10.7 comes out, I will be purchasing another Mac and giving away my current MacBook Pro.

I really want to keep all my current system config that I have tailored for quite a while and don't want to restart again on a clean installation.

How does Migration Assistant work when restoring through Time Machine?

2. macrumors 601

If you recover from time machine it will restore everything as of the last backup - that’s what time machine was designed for.

3. thread starter macrumors 65816

I don't think you get what I mean-I want to know how well Migration Assistant copes with restoring from Time Machine from a backup from an old computer to a new computer.

4. macrumors 68020

John T

I've recently purchased a new iMac. Using Migration Assistant, I copied everything from my old to the new computer.

Now, my new machine is exactly the same as the old one - settings for Airport, Internet, mail, iTunes, Accounts etc are all intact.

5. macrumors Core

miles01110

I had a bunch of permissions problems (namely when I restored from the TM backup the new account had none) when I used Migration Assistant. If I did it again I would clone from a bootable backup.

6. macrumors 65816

Batt

Use Setup Asst. It's the thing that comes up automatically when you fire up a new Mac for the first time. It works like MA but better. For one thing, it doesn't require you to make a new account, it just transfers everything in one clean operation.

7. macrumors regular

Hi guys,

Just about to get rid of my Alu MacBook, and replacing it with a 2007 iMac- I am running Snow Leopard, whereas the iMac is arriving with Tiger on it. I have the Snow Leopard discs, so I will be upgrading straight away, but I also want to transfer all of my MacBook's data onto the iMac with the Time Machine Migration Assistant. Obviously Snow Leopard will have to be installed before I have the option to use Time Machine Migration Assistant, so in what order should I do everything?! Should I originally boot from the Snow Leopard disc so I get a clean install, and then do the Migration?

Cheers in advance guys.