Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kingsly

macrumors 68040
Original poster
As per my discussion here, I realize that If I have two macs the need will probably arise to sync them every so often. Although I plan to use the MB as my life machine and my iMac as a work/gaming machine, I obviously would love to check e-mail on both and share contacts, calendars, etc. One can only take so much of a 13" screen when a beautiful 20 incher is looking right at you. ;)

Also, is there an easy suggestion about what to do with my bluetooth keyboard (much preferred to the built in MB board) and wired mice. I don't want my desk so cluttered.
Help?

swiftaw

macrumors 603
Jan 31, 2005
Omaha, NE, USA
As per my discussion here, I realize that If I have two macs the need will probably arise to sync them every so often. Although I plan to use the MB as my life machine and my iMac as a work/gaming machine, I obviously would love to check e-mail on both and share contacts, calendars, etc. One can only take so much of a 13" screen when a beautiful 20 incher is looking right at you. ;)

Also, is there an easy suggestion about what to do with my bluetooth keyboard (much preferred to the built in MB board) and wired mice. I don't want my desk so cluttered.
Help?

.Mac

NorCalLights

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2006
You could copy the appropriate files by hand... that would be the cheapest way. But .Mac sure makes it easy, and the per-month cost isn't very high. Just having the iDisk is worth it to me.

NATO

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2005
Northern Ireland
I've just purchased Chronosync on the recommendation of another fellow MacRumors reader. It's very flexible - You can set up rules to sync as many or as little files as you want.

It's made syncing the laptop and desktop Macs a breeze...

prostuff1

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2005
Don't step into the kawoosh...
You could try Chronosync which should allow you sync stuff between computers. I use it to keep a thumb drive in sync among my two machines. I can write a word document on my laptop and a totally different one on my desktop, and i can write something at school on the lab computers and save it to the thumb drive. Then i can set up to have chronosync do a bidirection sync on my 2 machines so that nothing gets deleted and replaced. It is jsut copied over.

It works quite well and I am considering setting it up to see if it will work over a wireless network (would not see why it would not) so that i can keep my mail on each computer looking the same. Or i might just run everything through an IMAP service type thing for my mail. I miss the IMAP from my .mac service but i can't see spending $99 a year jsut for that. Not to mention that I would want seperate IMAP accounts for each of the e-mail address i have (4 which i use regularly).

EDIT: Beat to the punch

Kingsly

macrumors 68040
Original poster
I've just purchased Chronosync on the recommendation of another fellow MacRumors reader. It's very flexible - You can set up rules to sync as many or as little files as you want.

It's made syncing the laptop and desktop Macs a breeze...

Fantastic! Thats just the thing I was looking for. How is it with Mail.app, Address book, and iCal? (mostly I care about mail.app)

phuong

macrumors 6502a
Aug 16, 2006
Fantastic! Thats just the thing I was looking for. How is it with Mail.app, Address book, and iCal? (mostly I care about mail.app)

i don't think ChronoSync will sync iCal.
afaik it only syncs files between chosen folders of the 2 computers
also, what i would love to see is the ability to sync Firefox's bookmarks. this i believe ChronoSync can't do either

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.