How does one go about syncing two macs?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Kingsly, Nov 17, 2006.

1. Kingsly macrumors 68040

As per my discussion here, I realize that If I have two macs the need will probably arise to sync them every so often. Although I plan to use the MB as my life machine and my iMac as a work/gaming machine, I obviously would love to check e-mail on both and share contacts, calendars, etc. One can only take so much of a 13" screen when a beautiful 20 incher is looking right at you. ;)

Also, is there an easy suggestion about what to do with my bluetooth keyboard (much preferred to the built in MB board) and wired mice. I don't want my desk so cluttered.
  2. swiftaw macrumors 603

Jan 31, 2005
    Omaha, NE, USA
  3. Kingsly thread starter macrumors 68040

is there a cheaper way? :D
  4. m-dogg macrumors 65816

Mar 15, 2004

.Mac on sale (it is available at less then full retail from time to time).
  5. Kingsly thread starter macrumors 68040

I don't want to be reliant on .mac if I don't have to be (say I decide I cant pay for it in a year... then what am I supposed to do?)

Is there any way to sync locally? (bonjour, etc.?)
  6. tkidBOSTON macrumors 6502a

Aug 14, 2005
    The Hub of the Universe
    If you dont insist on using the Mail app, iCal and Address Book--
    Google provides web based programs that you could access from either computer....
  7. NorCalLights macrumors 6502a

Apr 24, 2006
    You could copy the appropriate files by hand... that would be the cheapest way. But .Mac sure makes it easy, and the per-month cost isn't very high. Just having the iDisk is worth it to me.
  8. NATO macrumors 68000

Feb 14, 2005
    Northern Ireland
    I've just purchased Chronosync on the recommendation of another fellow MacRumors reader. It's very flexible - You can set up rules to sync as many or as little files as you want.

It's made syncing the laptop and desktop Macs a breeze...
  9. swiftaw macrumors 603

Jan 31, 2005
    Omaha, NE, USA
    Yes, I use Chronosync too, very useful
  10. prostuff1 macrumors 65816

Jul 29, 2005
    Don't step into the kawoosh...
    You could try Chronosync which should allow you sync stuff between computers. I use it to keep a thumb drive in sync among my two machines. I can write a word document on my laptop and a totally different one on my desktop, and i can write something at school on the lab computers and save it to the thumb drive. Then i can set up to have chronosync do a bidirection sync on my 2 machines so that nothing gets deleted and replaced. It is jsut copied over.

It works quite well and I am considering setting it up to see if it will work over a wireless network (would not see why it would not) so that i can keep my mail on each computer looking the same. Or i might just run everything through an IMAP service type thing for my mail. I miss the IMAP from my .mac service but i can't see spending $99 a year jsut for that. Not to mention that I would want seperate IMAP accounts for each of the e-mail address i have (4 which i use regularly).

EDIT: Beat to the punch
  11. Kingsly thread starter macrumors 68040

Fantastic! Thats just the thing I was looking for. How is it with, Address book, and iCal? (mostly I care about
  12. phuong macrumors 6502a

Aug 16, 2006
    i don't think ChronoSync will sync iCal.
    afaik it only syncs files between chosen folders of the 2 computers
    also, what i would love to see is the ability to sync Firefox's bookmarks. this i believe ChronoSync can't do either