How does one go about syncing two macs?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Kingsly, Nov 17, 2006.

1. Kingsly macrumors 68040

Kingsly

As per my discussion here, I realize that If I have two macs the need will probably arise to sync them every so often. Although I plan to use the MB as my life machine and my iMac as a work/gaming machine, I obviously would love to check e-mail on both and share contacts, calendars, etc. One can only take so much of a 13" screen when a beautiful 20 incher is looking right at you. ;)

Also, is there an easy suggestion about what to do with my bluetooth keyboard (much preferred to the built in MB board) and wired mice. I don't want my desk so cluttered.
    Help?

2. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

.Mac

3. Kingsly thread starter macrumors 68040

Kingsly

is there a cheaper way? :D

4. m-dogg macrumors 65816

m-dogg

.Mac on sale (it is available at less then full retail from time to time).

5. Kingsly thread starter macrumors 68040

Kingsly

I don't want to be reliant on .mac if I don't have to be (say I decide I cant pay for it in a year... then what am I supposed to do?)

Is there any way to sync locally? (bonjour, etc.?)

6. tkidBOSTON macrumors 6502a

tkidBOSTON

If you dont insist on using the Mail app, iCal and Address Book--
    Google provides web based programs that you could access from either computer....

7. NorCalLights macrumors 6502a

You could copy the appropriate files by hand... that would be the cheapest way. But .Mac sure makes it easy, and the per-month cost isn't very high. Just having the iDisk is worth it to me.

8. NATO macrumors 68000

NATO

I've just purchased Chronosync on the recommendation of another fellow MacRumors reader. It's very flexible - You can set up rules to sync as many or as little files as you want.

It's made syncing the laptop and desktop Macs a breeze...

9. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Yes, I use Chronosync too, very useful

10. prostuff1 macrumors 65816

prostuff1

You could try Chronosync which should allow you sync stuff between computers. I use it to keep a thumb drive in sync among my two machines. I can write a word document on my laptop and a totally different one on my desktop, and i can write something at school on the lab computers and save it to the thumb drive. Then i can set up to have chronosync do a bidirection sync on my 2 machines so that nothing gets deleted and replaced. It is jsut copied over.

It works quite well and I am considering setting it up to see if it will work over a wireless network (would not see why it would not) so that i can keep my mail on each computer looking the same. Or i might just run everything through an IMAP service type thing for my mail. I miss the IMAP from my .mac service but i can't see spending $99 a year jsut for that. Not to mention that I would want seperate IMAP accounts for each of the e-mail address i have (4 which i use regularly).

EDIT: Beat to the punch

11. Kingsly thread starter macrumors 68040

Kingsly

Fantastic! Thats just the thing I was looking for. How is it with Mail.app, Address book, and iCal? (mostly I care about mail.app)

12. phuong macrumors 6502a

i don't think ChronoSync will sync iCal.
    afaik it only syncs files between chosen folders of the 2 computers
    also, what i would love to see is the ability to sync Firefox's bookmarks. this i believe ChronoSync can't do either