how does sync work?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by fjs08, Nov 13, 2006.

1. fjs08 macrumors 65816

I'm preparing my old mac in hopes that I have an easy transfer to my new mac that I should be getting this week.

When I go to System Preferences/.mac and Sync what does that actually do. Say I sync my contacts and calendar. What goes where?? Does the info from my old Mac OSX Calendar and Contacts go somewhere, and where is that, and how do I retrieve it when I get my new Mac, or is there an easier way to transfer info.

I also have an external HD on order that I should be getting this week too. Would that be easier to use as a transfer devise?

Thanks.

Frank

2. Rojo macrumors 65816

Rojo

First, you need to have a .Mac account in order to sync between Macs. It wasn't clear from your post if you do or not. If you do, then your information (whatever you click to sync) will be uploaded to your iDisk space, which comes with your .Mac account. When you go to another computer and sync to your account, you're pulling the info from your iDisk space.

If you don't have a .Mac account, there's a number of tricks, or software to download, that can sync up your information (easy to find in google). But I think having a .Mac account just makes it soooo much easier and reliable, and gives you a lot of other useful stuff/features for your money.

3. fjs08 thread starter macrumors 65816

>>First, you need to have a .Mac account in order to sync between Macs. It wasn't clear from your post if you do or not. If you do, then your information (whatever you click to sync) will be uploaded to your iDisk space, which comes with your .Mac account. When you go to another computer and sync to your account, you're pulling the info from your iDisk space.<<

Sorry, I do have a .mac account. For 2 years now. I enjoy it. Guess I don't know a lot about it though <g>.

When I do a Sync on MY computer am I correct that it "saves" my info from my computer to the iDisk?? Never the reverse?? I wouldn't want to erase what I have.

Frank

4. Rojo macrumors 65816

Rojo

Yes, it saves from the computer to iDisk.

5. thewhitehart macrumors 6502a

thewhitehart

I have a question too, though.

If I delete an entry from my address book on my imac, does it also delete it from the idisk after syncing if it were previously on the idisk? And subsequently, if delted from the idisk, will it delete the same entry off of my ibook once I sync the ibook with .mac?