How does the apple store pick which cameras to sell?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by jinny1, May 4, 2005.

1. jinny1 macrumors member

It may be as random as thier chioce of laptop cases, but since I am going to finally take the plunge and get a digital camera, do the Cannons and Nikons sold by the Apple store interact any better with Macs than say Kodac or Minolta's?
    Are there compatibility issues I need to be aware of?
    Thanks in advance,
    Jinny

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Not really. They do take better pictures though (especially than Kodaks). Personally I prefer Cannons

3. iGary Guest

iGary

They seem partial to Canon, it seems.

I found out about the original Digital Rebel on Apple's site - go figure.

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Yeah, my first digital cam was a Canon PowerShot S50, which was a demo unit at the Troy, MI Apple store. I bought it for $200 about 2 years ago...which incidentally is about the going eBay price for it *today*. *loves*

But I think you have to recognize too that Canon and Nikon are sort of the looming giants in the broader digital camera market...and they have more of a full line of consumer/prosumer cameras than Kodak, don't they?

But pretty much any camera that is on the supported camera list will be very compatible. And if it makes you feel better, Canons, in spite of their support at the Apple store, famously refuse to mount their CF cards on the desktop, unlike most other brands. :( In every other way, though, they work flawlessly with Macs. :)

5. jinny1 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks!
    The list is very helpful.
    I think I'm leaning toward the Nikon coolpix.
    Jinny