How Does The RIAA Do It?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by cmaracz88, Sep 14, 2003.

1. cmaracz88 macrumors member

Sep 5, 2003
    Toronto, ON
    How exactly does the RIAA get the evidence that they need to charge someone with stealing music?

Do they send viruses over the file sharing programs, or have a computer sharing files and track who downloads from that computer? Do they search message boards looking for people admitting that they have stolen music?

And most importantly, what did the people who got caught do to get caught? Out of an estimated sixty million "song stealers" only a couple hundred/thousand have been charged. So I guess those people must have done something in particular to get caught.
  2. Independence macrumors regular

Jan 14, 2003
    United States
    the people being sued share a large amount of files. as for getting personal information, all the RIAA has to do is track the IP address to an ISP and then subpoena the ISP for the information on that IP address.
  3. Freg3000 macrumors 68000

Sep 22, 2002
    New York
    Forgive me, as I am not a law buff at all, but how does the RIAA get the subpoenas from the ISPs? What is the reason? "Suspected illegal activity" or something?
  4. hugemullens macrumors 6502a

Dec 15, 2002
    Basicly yes, gross copyright infringement. Verizon fought this in court and lost, the courts said the RIAA has suffiecent evidence to say this person is comming copyright infringment and you must tell them the person who has that IP address. Thats all there is to it, they can search for a song, find it, find out the ip of the person that was sharing it, and whamo! you got a lawsuit on your hands. THey have a few other tricks but thats it in a nutshell. -i spell like crap :( -
  5. Daveman Deluxe macrumors 68000

Daveman Deluxe

Jun 17, 2003
    Corvallis, Oregon
    The main issue I have with the RIAA subpoenaing information is the fact that there's no judicial overview. Normally a judge must sign a subpoena to get information, but in this case, there is no judge authorizing the subpoena.

I wouldn't mind so much if the subpoenas were properly authorized by a judge, but also by judges in the district in which the file-sharers reside.
  6. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

May 19, 2002
    Re: How Does The RIAA Do It?

This is from a couple months ago, but you'll notice that most of the people offering music for download are easy targets.
  7. ftaok macrumors 601

Jan 23, 2002
    East Coast
    Here's a really interesting article about this topic.

Personally, I think that "sharing" music is wrong, but what the RIAA is doing (with the courts support) is ridiculous. It's just more freedoms that we Americans are losing everyday.
  8. Daveman Deluxe macrumors 68000

Daveman Deluxe

Jun 17, 2003
    Corvallis, Oregon
    I've read that article. It sickens me more than most things, and there's a lot going on in this world that sickens me.

I'd say it ranks somewhere below the war in Iraq, slightly higher than the impending crisis in North Korea, and on a rough par with the Patriot Act II, or as I like to call it, "The Banishment of 'The Bill of Rights' Act of 2003".
  9. StealthRider macrumors 65816

Jan 23, 2002
    Yokosuka, Japan
    " I wouldn't mind so much if the subpoenas were properly authorized by a judge, but also by judges in the district in which the file-sharers reside."

That's true. They should need a judge in the district where the "evil sharers" are located to sign the subpoena...i never thought of that. Let's just hope that our judges share
  10. Maclarny macrumors 6502

Apr 20, 2003
    I heard that spyware was being used by the RIAA. Is that true, and, if so, doesn't that violate the Internet Privacy Act?
  11. XnavxeMiyyep macrumors 65816

Mar 27, 2003
    They may be using Spyware, which would be why no Mac users are affected!:D

But lots of companies use Spyware on PCs. Is Spyware itself illegal?
  12. MrMacMan macrumors 604

Jul 4, 2001
    1 Block away from NYC.
    There is spyware for mac, don't get me wrong.

There are no *viruses* or worms (excluding word Macros)

It would help users in general if they had to go through a Judge which *why* *how they got the info* *what was the songs/data*

And not bypass all of the Steps LAW ENFORCEMENT has to go through!
  13. cb911 macrumors 601

Mar 12, 2002
    BrisVegas, Australia
    the RIAA is also going for people that download music now. before they were just going for the main sharers of music, then they went for the 12 year old girl that had downloaded 1000 songs or someting.

now even music artists are speaking out against the RIAA. it's just crazy that they are sueing their customers.
  14. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

Feb 2, 2002
    it's terrifically easy for them to find your IP and then track you down, since they currently have the illegal right of getting this information. However, it's reported that they have employed virii and spyware for other purposes, before they started the lawsuits they made one last furious attempt... blank mp3s, virii, etc. real classy.

i should point out that placing a virus on anyone's system is illegal. there's no magical court order that changes that.

15. ftaok macrumors 601

Jan 23, 2002
    East Coast
    Not to defend the RIAA or anything, but why would sharing viruses be illegal? If I'm on Kaaza and I put a virus file into my sharing folder, I not putting a virus onto anyones system.

That's a pretty good tactic to thwart file-sharing.
  16. tomf87 macrumors 65816

Sep 10, 2003
    I don't think sharing a virus is illegal.

Designing a program that intentionally destroys data or makes a computer do things against the user's will is. or something similar to that.

And just by sending a subpoena for information does not mean you have to comply. A subpoena is a request, and a request only. Now if a judge demands a court order, then you must release the information.

You need to respond to a subpoena, however you do not have to just hand over any documentation that the person requests. For example, I could subpoena anyone for their financial records. That person could turn them over to me, or go to court to see if they are required to.
  17. Foxer macrumors 65816

Feb 22, 2003
    Washington, DC
    No offense, but for a super-genius your a bit lacking in the information department. I suspect you have subpeonas confused with a warrant. A subpeona is simply a demand to provide information pursuant to an ongoing legal matter. They do not normally require that a judge approve them (same with a summons), because we consider it inadvisable to give judges the ability to inhibit the presentation of someone's case.

A warrant, on the other hand, is a request by the government to sieze a person or property and therefore the need for judicial oversight is obvious.

I'll never understand this righteous indignation directed at the RIAA. I don't like the record companies, I think there prices are generally too high. That doesn't mean I go to Best Buy and steal a CD. If the cost is too high, I don't buy the blasted thing. I'd love to have a BMW or a G5, but I'm not going to help myslef in the dead of night. If I did, would any question Apple's right to come after me for burglary?

"But I only want one song, and the morons at RIAA are making me buy the whole CD!" I only like the creme part of Oreos, so I guess I can rip into the package at the store and leave the cookie parts. That'll be OK, right?

I'll address your Timothy McVeigh-like concerns regarding the Patriot act at a time of your choosing.