How does the Student Discount Work?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by streetfighter, Nov 8, 2006.

1. streetfighter macrumors newbie

Nov 8, 2006
    Ok, I am no longer a student, but I have a student ID that has a date that says it was issued last year. I live in NYC and I plan on going to either the 5th ave or Soho store to pickup the new Macbook C2D.

My question is how does the student discount work? Can I just show them my ID? I heard you need a student email, but I believe the school I took summer classes at, did not give me a student email. Do they actually call the school to see if you are still enrolled?

Thanks in advance.
  2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

Staff Member

Jan 20, 2005
    They do spot check verifications on some people. I don't know the percentage...I've never been checked, but I know people who have been checked multiple times.
  3. bearbo macrumors 68000

Jul 20, 2006
    then student discount isn't for you, don't try.
  4. shecky Guest

May 24, 2003
    Obviously you're not a golfer.
    if you go into a store, they will ask you to show ID. if your ID has a date of last year, i would say its a no-go. if you order online, its a small percentage of sales are audited so you will have better luck.
  5. MRU macrumors demi-god

Aug 23, 2005
    We placed a sudent order online about 2 years ago for my cousin (a laptop for uni) and so we used her iD to prove it was for a student. Since then Apple EDU store dont ever ask for iD when ordering and we have ordered this year alone since Jan 2006, 2 macbooks, 1 imac and 1 mac pro - all at the edu store. go figure....

I queried it once myself though with the edu sales guy on the phone, and he just looked and said we were good enough customers anyway, so I guess they show some lee way. (it's only like 5% discount anyway) :)