How does the Student Discount Work?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by streetfighter, Nov 8, 2006.

1. streetfighter macrumors newbie

Ok, I am no longer a student, but I have a student ID that has a date that says it was issued last year. I live in NYC and I plan on going to either the 5th ave or Soho store to pickup the new Macbook C2D.

My question is how does the student discount work? Can I just show them my ID? I heard you need a student email, but I believe the school I took summer classes at, did not give me a student email. Do they actually call the school to see if you are still enrolled?

Thanks in advance.

2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

They do spot check verifications on some people. I don't know the percentage...I've never been checked, but I know people who have been checked multiple times.

3. bearbo macrumors 68000

bearbo

then student discount isn't for you, don't try.

4. shecky Guest

shecky

if you go into a store, they will ask you to show ID. if your ID has a date of last year, i would say its a no-go. if you order online, its a small percentage of sales are audited so you will have better luck.

5. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

We placed a sudent order online about 2 years ago for my cousin (a laptop for uni) and so we used her iD to prove it was for a student. Since then Apple EDU store dont ever ask for iD when ordering and we have ordered this year alone since Jan 2006, 2 macbooks, 1 imac and 1 mac pro - all at the edu store. go figure....

I queried it once myself though with the edu sales guy on the phone, and he just looked and said we were good enough customers anyway, so I guess they show some lee way. (it's only like 5% discount anyway) :)