How Does This Sound?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by tjwett, Jun 16, 2003.

1. tjwett macrumors 68000

tjwett

I was thinking of something.
    Wouldn't it rule if Apple was somehow able to one day sneak an AirPort(or equivalent) Card into the iPod? You could stream your tunes from the Pod to your any Mac in your house, or even cooler, your Rendesvous-equipped home stereo of the future (coming pretty soon). Plus, I'm always falling asleep listening to my Pod and I think it would be killer if I could be streaming some internet radio from iTunes on my Mac into my Pod from anywhere in my house. I just think that would be the sickest thing ever. I'm sure Apple already has this in the works for a while but I just wanted to blurt it out before I fall asleep and forget about it.:eek:

2. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

sounds like something that would be more practicably done by putting it in a module that plugs into the iPod's special connector, as even the airport extreme card is large for an iPod enclosure.

3. jimthorn macrumors 6502a

jimthorn

One of the "super iPod Dock" rumors puts an Airport card in the Dock. Only time will tell if there are going to be any super Docks at all.

MacRumors Advanced Dock rumor

4. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

Wouldn't that be quite a power drain on the battery? The iPod cases are getting thinner, so this kinda goes against that. The only way I could see this happening would be inside the dock, like jimthorn mentioned.

5. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

well, that's what i meant by a module that connects to the iPod via its altered firewire connector. i don't like the idea of a dock, though, so much as an enclosure that goes around the iPod and has its bulk in the back, so that it could be carried around, possibly with it's own supplementary battery. i mean really, what's the use of wireless if it has to be plugged into the wall anyways?

i mean, really, they make laptop docks, but i have never seen one that advertised it could increase the laptop's mobility--which is what wireless is for.

6. tjwett thread starter macrumors 68000

tjwett

I know there are lots of details that would need attention, I was just thinking that it would simply be a cool idea. Surely there must be another way to get AirPort transmission with something smaller than the current AirPort size cards? Anyway as technology improves I'm sure just about everything will be on a wireless network, and size will not be an issue at all. Not curing cancer here, just a fantasy.

7. ozubahn macrumors regular

The iPod could definitely use an airport card, but it need not be in addition to the hard drive. I could imagine an iPod with a modular design allowing either an HD or an 802.11 module, or something as yet unknown. That could allow access to a shared library or, at a greater cost in battery life, streaming internet radio. This might become feasible if wireless network coverage improves by a few orders of magnitude, and if it is all linked together by a unified access and billing system. Short of that, I don't see it happening. It would be cool, though. :)