How does Warcraft III - TFT run on your MacBook?

Discussion in 'Games' started by Chansey, Mar 13, 2007.

1. Chansey macrumors member

Hi!

I want to get a MacBook Pro but not until the new revision comes out, but i need a computer meanwhile. I was thinking of getting a MacBook to minimize my loss when i buy the MBP when it comes out. I play only one game and it is Wc3. I want to be able to play DotA without any problems.

So, macbook users, how many frames per second do you get? Please include settings and what game mode you are playing. (eg DotA or 3vs3)

In wc3 type /fps in the chat window to display it.

Thanks!

2. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

I have: macbook core duo 2 Ghz, 2 GB RAM

I play: DotA (5v5), random/arranged team (2v2)

Settings: all to the highest possible, including screen resolution (1280x800x32)

FPS: mid to high 30s at all times

3. Chansey thread starter macrumors member

On my old Macbook pro (1,83ghz 1,5gb ram, 128mb vram) i got 80-140fps .

So i am used to high FPS. How does 30-40fps feel? Do you ever consider turning down the settings to get better fps or is it fully playable? Can you tell the difference between 35 and 75 fps?

4. colocolo macrumors 6502

Honestly, I think if you can tell the difference between 35 and 75fps, you have some superhuman abilities.

Only actual problem would be mouse choppiness, but if the framerates are steady, that won't be a problem.

Stuff you see on TV is less than 30fps; regular movies are encoded at 24 fps.

OH, BTW i play warcraft III on a 1.33 iBook, always over 25fps. Never has been a problem for me, I wouldn;t get any better with 40fps :)

5. Chansey thread starter macrumors member

Hmm, currently i use a powerbook 12" 1,5ghz, 512mb ram and when i play dota 5vs5 my fps range from 16-35 averaging about 24 with most settings set to low or medium. 1024x768. It is unplayable

6. NsK macrumors member

7. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

who are you talking to? My framerates are in OS X.

I also sometimes play on my gf's imac core duo 1.83 with 128 MB x1600. That gets about 90 fps with every setting maxed. I prefer playing on the imac, but only because its wired internet connection is a lot more reliable than my wireless. :rolleyes: I can't see any difference in terms of how the game looks or responds - it's completely smooth on both machines. I have no desire to turn down the settings on my macbook because I find the experience just as good as on the imac (internet problems aside).

8. Chansey thread starter macrumors member

Thats great news Qcassidy! Since your gfs imac is identical to my macbook pro you know what those specs feel like. Ill get a MacBook then!

9. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

WC3 is quite old. It was running full speed when G5s were just coming out.

Anything past a G5, is pretty much guaranteed to run this game maxed out.

Again, its OLD, in gaming years at least.

10. phuong macrumors 6502a

macbook Core (not 2) Duo, 1GB ram
    playing dota wirelessly (wifi-G) with full video features turned on(shadows details... etc) no probs.
    well... there's a small problem, which is the screen too small, making it hard to click sometimes (assasinate, blink strike, last hit ...etc)

11. Chansey thread starter macrumors member

fps?