How does your 2GHz MBPro run on just 1 GB of RAM?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ieani, Mar 11, 2006.

1. ieani macrumors 6502a

ieani

For those that have the 2GHz MBPro is 1 GB plenty?When I ordered mine I downgraded to the dual 512 so the faster hard drive wouldnt add cost and since I had heard using two 512's is faster than just a 1 GB stick. But this downgrade will leave me with an unneeded 512 stick if I ever upgrade. Should I change my order for the easier upgrade or will 1 GB be fine? I will not be running anything too intensive just itunes, bit torrent, idvd, imovie, iphoto, ichat, ms office etc. But many times a few will all be running at the same time.

2. itgoesbuzz macrumors regular

i do not have a macbook pro but i do have a 1.5 Ghz PB G4 and it has 1.5GB of ram and it runs great.....so i think your in good shape, but would have stuck with the 1GB stick

3. Eluon macrumors regular

i just got mine today (2.0, 1 gig) and i love it. runs perfectly for me! best of luck to you!

4. Aramis macrumors member

Aramis

I ran for a couple of days on 1 GB of RAM and didnt notice any major performance issues. I upgraded because I like to max out my systems and did notice some perf improvements, but I could have lived with 1GB for what im doing.

You should be fine based on whay youve outlined.

5. Gordy macrumors 6502a

Same here. :)

6. ipacmm macrumors 65816

ipacmm

When I first got my MBP on 1GB of ram, it ran good, I guess right now without that much software, it is fine with 1GB of ram, but I did upgrade it to 2GB and it runs a lot quicker in everyday task. I would defiantly recommend upgraded to 2GB.

7. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

I found 1Gb was not enough with all the apps I normally have running. I've got 2Gb now and it's fine.

8. Deepdale macrumors 68000

Deepdale

What do you usually have open at the same time?

9. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Right now I have:
    Address Book, iCal, iPhoto (just over 2000 images in library), iTunes, NewNewsWire, Mail, Safari (with a few tabs open), XCode (3-4 projects open), Activity Monitor, iChat, Delicious Library, MS Excel (a couple of documents open), Terminal, Omni Graffle (a couple of documents open) and Preview.

I'd say that's about normal for me...

10. Deepdale macrumors 68000

Deepdale

Given what you outlined, 1 GB would likely be fine for me. I am not quite sure which of those apps listed are the most demanding of RAM, but maybe you can post a pic of the Activity Monitor utilization of available memory when you have a chance. Thanks.

11. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Perhaps it's all down to personal perception. The machine ran OK with 1GB of RAM but switching between apps sometimes seemed sluggish if they had not been used for some time as they had to be paged back in. With 2Gb that does not seem to happen anymore.

Anyway, Activity Monitor screenshot included...

Attached Files:

12. SmurfBoxMasta macrumors 65816

SmurfBoxMasta

uummmm......

with >>24K pageouts, 1.95GB of 2GB used, and only 48mb free, your machine WILL begin to slow down after prolonged use, and your HDD is sufferring excessive wear & tear from the near-constant paging. But since 2GB is da max, there is not much else you can do except not run as many apps at once, and/or occasional restarts :(

13. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Near constant paging? It's almost never paging. The machine has been up for over 10 days. I'd consider that this is a reasonable number of pages out/in. It does not slow down now I have 2Gb. With 1Gb it was noticeable.

14. Eluon macrumors regular

yea... all I am doing write now is typing papers, listening to iTunes and playing with a little photoshop. I have not found that much lag in photoshop - of course, I never edit 50mb files or whatever.

I know the computer isn't at top speed because of software, so I am not being that harsh on it. The last laptop I owned was an iBook G4 12 inch 1 gigahertz. Sooo this is a nice bump!

15. SmurfBoxMasta macrumors 65816

SmurfBoxMasta

When you have >>24k page outs, your machine IS paging a fair amount.
    And page-ins dont really matter.......

16. ieani thread starter macrumors 6502a

ieani

I think 1 Gb will be fine but I might end of eating that extra $90 anyways if I need to upgrade so Ill just cancel and reorder.