Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Foxdog175

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 3, 2008
During the past few weeks, I've noticed that when my 2013 Mac Pro sleeps, all of the peripherals go into a lower power mode (speakers mute themselves and then eventually go into standby, usb hub lights shut off) and it doesn't appear that the network stays active. For instance, if I send a bunch of messages to someone while the Mac is asleep, when I come back and wake it up, all of the messages quickly catch up.

Does your Mac Pro behave the same way during sleep?

ifraaank

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2012
Odense C, Denmark
My 5.1 turns on and off constantly. Something wakes it up. But I don't mind. Everything is ready when I turn it on from sleep, all messages appear and such appear instantly.

Foxdog175

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 3, 2008
Mine also wakes from sleep randomly. But you're saying that if you were to send/receive, say 10 messages from someone, when you come back to your computer and it wakes from sleep, those 10 messages appear instantly? There's no 'catching-up' where it quickly tries to load everything it missed during sleep?

Foxdog175

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 3, 2008
I also have 2 phone apps that I connect to my Mac Pro with (LogMeIn and AirVideo). If I leave my Mac in sleep long enough (overnight) and attempt to connect to it with either of those apps, they both state that the computer is offline. I have to manually come back to the computer and wake it for those apps to be able to connect again.

Is anyone also having issues connecting to your Mac Pro after it's been sleeping for many hours?

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
For instance, if I send a bunch of messages to someone while the Mac is asleep, when I come back and wake it up, all of the messages quickly catch up.

I don't understand what the issue is. Are you wanting the computer to stay awake so that the messages don't need to catch up at all, even though they catch up quickly?

Foxdog175

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 3, 2008
I don't understand what the issue is. Are you wanting the computer to stay awake so that the messages don't need to catch up at all, even though they catch up quickly?

No, I'd like the 2 apps that I use remotely with the computer to be able to wake it from sleep like it should. I'm just using Messages as another example of how the computer doesn't receive any network data during sleep.

Foxdog175

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 3, 2008
Do you have Wake on Demand enabled? Are you using Ethernet cable or Wi-Fi?

I have "Wake for Network Access" and "Power Nap" enabled. I have both ethernet and wifi connections. Ethernet is selected in Network prefs, and I use wifi for printing.

thephased

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2009
I have a 4,1 flashed to 5,1 and a 2012 5,1. They both are running Sierra 10.12.1. The flashed 4,1 sleeps immediately. I think there was one time it woke on its own. Otherwise no problems. For the 2012 5,1 I just picked up, I swapped the the raid 0 drives into it expecting it not to boot, but after a few reboots and a PRAM reset it boots and everything works fine except it's slow to sleep now. It takes maybe 20 seconds for it to sleep. Wake is immediate and fine. I'm wondering whether it's worth reformatting and re-installing everything to see if that fixes the issue or if there's another way to fix it, but I can't find anything.

I have read some have sleep issues (in the past on their 5,1s).. so I'm not sure if this may be just normal for the unit. All add-on cards, drives, and the graphics card are the same and in the same slots.

Anyone have any ideas?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.