how durable is the DS Lite?

Discussion in 'Games' started by sam10685, Jul 8, 2006.

1. sam10685 macrumors 68000

sam10685

i don't have one yet but i plan on gettin one. i was wonderin how durable it is. (for instance; i have a nokia 6010 cell phone and i'm in a wheelchair and i usually just drop it on my lap because it's easier than searching for a pocket to put it into. i often times forget it's there and go to stand up and drop it on the hard floor or concrete. i'd say i've done that about a zillion times and it's fine.)

2. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

I don't know about the DS Lite, but my brother's GBA was dropped on a carpeted floor and was fine...

Not much help, but maybe some.

3. DEXTERITY macrumors 6502a

I've dropped quite a few on hard tile floors (in retail stores) and they were fine. Same thing with the original DS. I could drop it from my waist with the top screen open and nothing happened to it..

4. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

I'm not trying to drop it....its like my ipods...can't drop em...look too good to drop.

Bless

5. DevilDog macrumors regular

DevilDog

Me and my friends were blasting off a fire extinguisher and that super-fine dust got inbetween the body and the clear plastic outer covering. But other than that it's pretty good. Pretty much all Nintendo's stuff is bullet-resistant.

6. DarkNetworks macrumors 68000

DarkNetworks

is a case really needed to protect the thing? I mean obviously the screen is protected but do you really need a case? Like if you get the PSP, a case is a must...the DS case?

7. JDOG_ macrumors 6502a

JDOG_

All Nintendo stuff is pretty durable and the DS lite is no exception. I keep mine in a sock and have been using it daily since launch and it's scratch free.

My girlfriend's also ripped out a DS cartridge (instead of using the push method) and the mechanism is unscathed...

Try doing that with a PSP :eek:

8. ToastMaster macrumors regular

ToastMaster

I wouldn't get a DS case. PSP cases are usually just to prevent scratches. The way the DS closes protects both screens really well. I've never seen the need for a case.

9. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Black DS Lite - case required (anything thats black+shiny needs a case IMO).
    White DS Lite - will take hell. had it some weeks now (i think!) and it's a tough machine. took it out yesterday to a concert. survived in my pocket - caseless. pulled it out on the car ride home for multiplayer Tetris. worked fine. no fingerprints, no scratches, nothing. if I was going on some kind of expedition i'd probably take the bigger DS, just because it's a little more dispensable.

testament to Nintendo's build quality and durability; my NES is in full working order, games and all. original GB is perfect (save a few scratches on the screen). N64, GBA, SP. only cockroaches and Nintendo products will survive a nuke.

10. DarkNetworks macrumors 68000

DarkNetworks

11. crachoar macrumors 6502a

You only need to protect the touchscreen if you're one of those idiots that digs the stylus into the plastic.

12. Piarco macrumors 68030

Piarco

Unfortunately my housemate is (bless her cotton socks;))so for her to carry on with her Brain Training, I'm going yo have to get some screen protectors for my white DS lite....

Like raggedjimmi says - the black needs a case. Shows fingerprints as much as the black iPods, and is only slightly more resiliant to scratching. The white however seems to be bombproof - which means I feel a lot better about using it!

13. michaeldmartin macrumors regular

michaeldmartin

The ds lite is the best looking portable system I have seen in my whole life. It's perfectly sized, It's got a so-so feel to it (I don't like how it seems to be designed in mind of how some people won't use the right-side buttons, but the touch screen), other than that it's perfect. It has a very sound case, even more so than pretty much any other portable. (Excluding origonal gameboy, that was NUKE proof.) The screen, tho is too reflective for my tastes. It's practically a mirror while it's off. It has yet to get a scratch (in pocket) unlike my ipod which can be scratched by a TISSUE (AARGHHHH!!!!)

14. kouljackson macrumors newbie

I slap shotted my DS Lite with a 90Flex Easton Synergy stick with a Sackic curve...it hit the crossbar of the goal and when into the stands about 6 rows. The DsLite won't turn on now...not sure what's wrong with it.

15. kinesin macrumors regular

After reading the reviews online about protection for the Ipod Namo I picked an invisible shield from http://www.shieldzone.com for my white DS lite. I applied it over the weekend and it's bloody awesome!! :D

I've got the full body kit that comes with outer top and bottom shields plus 2 screen covers. Everything was easy to apply apart from top screen protector as it covers not only the screen, but the surround with tiny cut outs round the speak holes. It turned out to be a real pain to line up and it ended up moving it several times, and making a mess :( It's has settled a little and looks poor, but with the screen on I can't tell it's there.

Anyway some photos. (sorry about the size - they need to quite big to see the shield!)

Attached Files:

16. kinesin macrumors regular

A few more pics. It's definitely worth waiting for a 24 hours after applying as it does change appearance / tigthten up and becoming smoother. As you can see the top screen is very poor so I'm more than likely to peel it off. The lower protector doesn't seem to interfere with the stylus and makes me happy that a hardcore session on MPH won't leave micro stratches.
    If I was getting a black DS Lite i think this is a must.. just apply it as the first thing you do once opening the box ;)

Attached Files:

17. sam10685 thread starter macrumors 68000

sam10685

is the case needed for the black one just becase of finger prints?

18. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

^yup.

I don't see the point in a full body cover for the white DS lite. really - it shows nothing up. no scratches or anything. ho hum!

19. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Screw that protecting thing...I don't even want to put a screen protector on touch screen...the handheld is already coated.

Bless

20. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Aye touchscreens are pretty resilient. My 2002 Pocket PC is smooth as a chimp still, no scratches or anything. big DS too.

21. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Indeed...my Tungsten is still going strong after countless abuse...I dont think the screen protector is a must.

Bless

22. ddrueckhammer macrumors 65816

ddrueckhammer

I have the white DS Lite and imported a Hori case and screen protectors. I don't think it is necessary but I am very anal about my electronics. You can scratch your DS Lite if you drop it from about 5 feet on concrete but I doubt it would effect its functionality unless it hit just right...I imagine the original DS was more durable but the trade-off is acceptable IMHO...

23. DarkNetworks macrumors 68000

DarkNetworks

Dude you make me wanna get an Invisible Shield! Nah at least protect the screens...i dunno but i think i need to protect the screen but then again, it's not like it's gonna get scratched easily anyway...

24. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

I've heard reports of original GameBoy carts going through the wash AND drier with no ill effects. Our NES (nearly as old as me, possibly older) is still working. Unfortunately, our SNES had to get repaired for something, back in the day, and the fire button on our SuperScope is b0rked. :(

25. sam10685 thread starter macrumors 68000

sam10685

interesting...