How early should someone go to an Apple Store Opening?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by GoCubsGo, Feb 10, 2006.

1. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

There is an opening of an Apple Store at the Irvine Spectrum tomorrow at 10am. I was thinking of going and wondered how early I should go to ensure I'll be one of the 1,000 people.

2. floriflee macrumors 68030

floriflee

What?! You haven't left for the opening yet???? :eek:

3. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

I'd guess 7am would be a good time to be there. A bit early, but not too much.

4. CubaTBird macrumors 68020

go in so you can be the first to "touch" the mac book pro.. haha :p

5. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    I went at lunchtime the day before but since Regent St was the first in the UK and had lucky bags, that made sense.

I'd go just before 7. Strangely, it was at 7am in London that large groups of people started arriving and assumed they'd be near the front... when they were actually several thousand people behind. I'd get there about 6.30...

6. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

I was at the mall at about 9AM for a 10AM opening and there was already about 300 people in line

7. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Yes, an hour should be enough. If you want to be extra safe, make it a bit more.

On the other hand, I never mind going early because I meet some great people in the lines.

8. Little King macrumors member

Personally, I'd go for the 6/7am slot, just so when passers-by ask what I'm doing I can say I'm a hard core Apple geek. :p But that's just me.

9. r6girl Administrator/Editor

r6girl

Staff Member

i went to the san francisco store opening and got in line at about 7:00 am for the 10:00 am opening. the line was already around the block by that time and i completely missed being able to buy one of the lucky bags. but, they were only selling a couple hundred of the lucky bags. i would guess i was in the first 1000 people by arriving that early. if that's any indicator, you should be fine arriving by 7:00 am to be one of the first thousand...

have fun!

10. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    I work on the principle that I'd rather wait outside while it's closed and there's nothing going on - and you can chat to other Mac users outside - than know that you're outside and round the corner while it's actually open and the front of the queue is getting cheered and waved at - while you have to wait for the crush to lessen and some people to leave before you get in.

11. kgarner macrumors 68000

kgarner

I went to the Grand Opening of the one here in Salt Lake City and I was one of the first 1,000. I arrived at about 9:00. Of cousre, I didnt' get in until around 12:00, but I still got a shirt. Basically, no matter when you get in line you are going to be waiting a long time.

12. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

I was at the opening of the same store. Got there at maybe 8:45 or so, and while I*(easily) got a shirt, I was quite far back in the line and had to wait a long time to get into the store even after it opened. If you want to be closer to the front of the line, I'd say be there at 6:30-7:00. Like kgarner said, late or early, you're going to have to wait a while to get into the store. There will certainly be other people in the line to talk with, and besides, the wait is a lot of the fun.

13. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

i went to the burlington store and got their i think around 8.30.... i was in the first 40.......
    if i got to the derby street opening i'm prob gonna be their around 8ish and hopefully not freeze... dam outside malls ;)

14. GoCubsGo thread starter macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I'm going to go at about 7am if I can get up. It's my day off yanno!
    I have my ipod, but boy do I wish the battery was good for more than a couple of hours while watching videos.
    I can also bring my textbook...but that might not be as fun.

15. thejedipunk macrumors regular

thejedipunk

Hey Jessica, I'll be there as well. I'll get there as soon as I can. I hope it's worth getting up early for this type of thing. I also hope the Genius Bar is fully operational. I'm currently having some issues with my iBook. :(

16. Little King macrumors member

Take your PowerBook and use the Store's AirPort network for internet access. For this though, you will have to get there early, so to get in range.

17. FireArse macrumors 6502a

I was in the queue for Regents Street too. My Brother and I are still photographed on the site! :) We got there for 19:00 the night before - and my girlfriend still thinks im mad whenever I show her the spot where we camped in sleeping bags and blankets - but what an atmosphere. Great night! Are they still doing the lucky Bags?!

I still have the 10% card!! Anyone fancy it, name a price! :)

F

18. GoCubsGo thread starter macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I didn't see those "lucky" bags so I am not sure.

19. GoCubsGo thread starter macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

You were there?! Holy cow. Where were you standing? Did you see those "lucky bags"? I nearly bought a mac mini to tide me over so I can turn in my PB on monday.

20. thejedipunk macrumors regular

thejedipunk

I got there at like 7:30am. I was like the 15th person in line. So yeah, very near the front. And no, there were no goodie bags that I saw. Don't think they had anything like that. Just the t-shirts.

Pretty crazy how we got applause for just walking in. :rolleyes:
    The line kept getting longer and longer with each passing minute. D:
    The store isn't big by all means, but it's not small either. They have just about everything every Apple Store has. Except a separated viewing area for the workshops. But that's all taken care of at "The Studio" which is next to the Genius Bar.

[​IMG]
    (Yeah I know, not a great picture but whatever.)

[​IMG]
    (Taken sometime between 8:30 and 9am. By no means does this show the full extent of the line. It was already wrapped around D: )

21. runninmac macrumors 65816

runninmac

Yeah it is always fun, I got to mine ~7:15 and was 29th in line. Some people got there at 5:45

Edit: Oh yeah the line picked up a TON at 8:30 it seemed. I think there was ~300-500people in line before it opened, talk about crazy!

EDIT: Oh I really should read the whole thread before posting, doing that now

22. kinless macrumors regular

kinless

I got there (Irvine Spectrum) at 6:15am and was 4th in line. The guy who was #1 got there at 3am, and come to find out he wasn't even an Apple fan. He said it was just the "geek" thing to do. (Ummmmmm OK) The guys who run spymac.com and securemac.com were 2nd and 3rd.

I guess I'm the 4th biggest nerd in the world. ^_^

23. zlhade macrumors newbie

;) hahaha

then, what did u get after being 4th in the line?

24. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

It's annoying when you show up and the next person to get in line behind you comes much later, since that shows you could have waited later to come yourself and gotten the same place in line. When I was first in line for one Apple event, it was over a half hour until the next person showed up. I'm glad it wasn't much longer than that.

25. runninmac macrumors 65816

runninmac

I seem to follow that theory to much, Im afraid that I will be the only one in line, like my Apple store opening or the Xbox 360 launch (which i didnt get one :()