Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sic

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 26, 2005
Southampton UK
having never owned a Powerbook or a laptop for that matter, i'm a little dubious as to how to fit my RAM i've ordered. i've got 2Gb SODIMM DDR2 PC4200 waiting for me at home, and i'm wondering if it's an easy process? is it just a case of taking the back off, removing the 512 that's already in there and putting the new stuff in? or are there other things i need to be thinking about?

cheers

munkle

macrumors 68030
Aug 7, 2004
On a jet plane
It's surprisingly easy, even more so than the iBook's. Just use the guide in the link given above and make sure you dont' lose any of the screws! :)

kretzy

macrumors 604
Sep 11, 2004
Canberra, Australia
Yeah getting the screws out can be a bit tricky, but they come out eventually. The 512 stick should come out easily and then all you have to do is put the 2 1GB sticks in. If you follow the guide, you will be fine. (if i can do it, anyone can ;) )

I'd love another gig in my PB

chucknorris

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2005
Moscow, ID (No Kremlin here!)
max_altitude said:
Yeah getting the screws out can be a bit tricky, but they come out eventually. The 512 stick should come out easily and then all you have to do is put the 2 1GB sticks in. If you follow the guide, you will be fine. (if i can do it, anyone can ;) )

I'd love another gig in my PB

I'm pretty sure he's saying that he has a 2 GB stick, so he shouldn't have to remove anything at all.

I've installed PowerBook RAM myself before, so I can vouch for the simplicity of the process. The one sticky part is remembering to push VERY hard on the memory to get it to snap into place (you'll feel something that resembles a snap, but keep pushing until you can really hear it click).

I had to push so hard that I thought I might break something.

DarkNetworks

macrumors 68000
Apr 12, 2005
Sic said:
having never owned a Powerbook or a laptop for that matter, i'm a little dubious as to how to fit my RAM i've ordered. i've got 2Gb SODIMM DDR2 PC4200 waiting for me at home, and i'm wondering if it's an easy process? is it just a case of taking the back off, removing the 512 that's already in there and putting the new stuff in? or are there other things i need to be thinking about?

cheers

it's as easy as A,B,C

FFTT

macrumors 68030
Apr 17, 2004
A Stoned Throw From Ground Zero
The RAM slots in Apple computers are extremely close tollerance.

While it's easy to install your own RAM, you have to be very careful
that the DIMMs are fully seated until the RAM keepers click into place.

The RAM DIMMs can only intall one way, so that's not a problem, but you'll see that it takes quite a bit of pressure to fully seat the DIMMs.
Be VERY careful to line up your DIMMs evenly so you don't damage the RAM slots or your logic board.

Obvously make sure you follow anti-static procedure.

Wihatools.com has a wonderful selection of hi precision ESD safe tools.
They make the best mini drivers anywhere in the world.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.