Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Logik

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2004
skubish said:
How easy is it to upgrade an iMac G5?
What items can be replaced inside?

Thanks

hard drive and ram.

i hear it isn't easy but isn't hard either.. it's kind of an intermediate kind of challenge. if you've ripped a computer apart before you probably won't have much of a problem, if you haven't, well, you get the idea.

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
Macmaniac said:
It unfortunate that you can only upgrade RAM and the HD. Perhaps some smart third party will make processor upgrades:)

Unfortunatly this is not likely as the CPU is surface mounted onto the logic board. The only real way to upgrade the CPU is to replace the whole logic board, although doing this would also open the posibility of a graphics chip upgrade. The only company really able to do this is Apple (as many of the components on the board are Apple made/designed, i.e. the main north/south bridge).

andrewfee

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2004
I don't think you can swap out the hard drive for another one unless you void your warranty.

I've had to replace the hard drive in my iMac, and it's screwed into some metal caddy with regular screws; you're only allowed to unscrew the brass screws in the iMac or you void the warranty.

When apple sent the replacement drive, it was the whole thing, not just the drive itself.

Platform

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2004
andrewfee said:
I don't think you can swap out the hard drive for another one unless you void your warranty.

I've had to replace the hard drive in my iMac, and it's screwed into some metal caddy with regular screws; you're only allowed to unscrew the brass screws in the iMac or you void the warranty.

When apple sent the replacement drive, it was the whole thing, not just the drive itself.

No replacing the HDD will not woid the warrenty according to apple they have stated that you can replace many thing's have a look here

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=86812

flyfish29

macrumors 68020
Feb 4, 2003
New HAMpshire
while it would be nice to be able to easily upgrade most everything- it seems like the fact that it is a consumer machine and majority of "consumers" consume their computers and sell them or pass them on to someone else like kids, grandparents, etc when they "consume" another one. It isn't very economical to upgrade many things from a consumers standpoint- especially since there always seems to be bottlenecks that limit upgrade performance most of the time. But at the same time it seems that much of the G5 is replacable by the consumer if they desire- but I would guess much less than 1% of owners would think about touching their hard drive, processor, etc.

TIGERmac

macrumors member
Nov 12, 2004
Overall serviceability seems quite good. The rear cover can be taken off by removing 3 screws (don't lose them!) at the bottom of the air inlet/speaker area. Upgrading system RAM is a breeze, and the hard drive didn't look like it would be too difficult to swap out. From what I've read, installing an AirPort Extreme card is also very easy to do.

Apple says the iMac was designed to be user-serviceable, and it appears they succeeded in that goal.

Littleodie914

macrumors 68000
Jun 9, 2004
Rochester, NY
TIGERmac said:
The rear cover can be taken off by removing 3 screws (don't lose them!)
Huh? I didn't think the screws could come out... All the times I've opened, mine, they just turn a bit then stop. From there, I can remove the cover and everything. :confused:

ClarkeB

macrumors 6502
Jan 24, 2005
The RAM is a bit hard to get in (I'm not very used to comp repair, etc). Requires a bit of a push.

You can also add AirPort

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.