How easy is it to upgrade an iMac G5?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by skubish, Feb 14, 2005.

1. skubish macrumors 68030

Feb 2, 2005
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    How easy is it to upgrade an iMac G5?
    What items can be replaced inside?

2. Logik macrumors 6502a

Apr 24, 2004
    hard drive and ram.

i hear it isn't easy but isn't hard either.. it's kind of an intermediate kind of challenge. if you've ripped a computer apart before you probably won't have much of a problem, if you haven't, well, you get the idea.
  3. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

Jun 6, 2003
    Solon, OH
    Perhaps this document will be of help. It's on Apple's Support area of their site.
  4. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

It unfortunate that you can only upgrade RAM and the HD. Perhaps some smart third party will make processor upgrades:)
  5. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

Jul 24, 2002
    Unfortunatly this is not likely as the CPU is surface mounted onto the logic board. The only real way to upgrade the CPU is to replace the whole logic board, although doing this would also open the posibility of a graphics chip upgrade. The only company really able to do this is Apple (as many of the components on the board are Apple made/designed, i.e. the main north/south bridge).
  6. andrewfee macrumors 6502

Aug 29, 2004
    I don't think you can swap out the hard drive for another one unless you void your warranty.

I've had to replace the hard drive in my iMac, and it's screwed into some metal caddy with regular screws; you're only allowed to unscrew the brass screws in the iMac or you void the warranty.

When apple sent the replacement drive, it was the whole thing, not just the drive itself.
  7. Platform macrumors 68030

Dec 30, 2004
    No replacing the HDD will not woid the warrenty according to apple they have stated that you can replace many thing's have a look here
  8. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

Feb 4, 2003
    New HAMpshire
    while it would be nice to be able to easily upgrade most everything- it seems like the fact that it is a consumer machine and majority of "consumers" consume their computers and sell them or pass them on to someone else like kids, grandparents, etc when they "consume" another one. It isn't very economical to upgrade many things from a consumers standpoint- especially since there always seems to be bottlenecks that limit upgrade performance most of the time. But at the same time it seems that much of the G5 is replacable by the consumer if they desire- but I would guess much less than 1% of owners would think about touching their hard drive, processor, etc.
  9. TIGERmac macrumors member

Nov 12, 2004
    Overall serviceability seems quite good. The rear cover can be taken off by removing 3 screws (don't lose them!) at the bottom of the air inlet/speaker area. Upgrading system RAM is a breeze, and the hard drive didn't look like it would be too difficult to swap out. From what I've read, installing an AirPort Extreme card is also very easy to do.

Apple says the iMac was designed to be user-serviceable, and it appears they succeeded in that goal.
  10. Littleodie914 macrumors 68000

Jun 9, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Huh? I didn't think the screws could come out... All the times I've opened, mine, they just turn a bit then stop. From there, I can remove the cover and everything. :confused:
  11. ClarkeB macrumors 6502

Jan 24, 2005
    The RAM is a bit hard to get in (I'm not very used to comp repair, etc). Requires a bit of a push.

You can also add AirPort