How exactly do I deactivate my iPhone 4 to sell it?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by APPLEFAN8, Sep 21, 2012.

1. macrumors 65816

APPLEFAN8

I got my iPhone this morning from ups at 9:30, now the iPhone 4 says "no service" and my iPhone 5 is activated and i'm syncing it. My guess would be to restore to iPhone 4 to factory settings and take my sim card out and keep it? Or do I leave the sim card in there? Thanks

2. macrumors newbie

mrjinglesusa

Whenever I've sold a phone with a SIM card I always remove it and destroy it before selling. The new owner can go and get a new SIM card from the carrier.

3. thread starter macrumors 65816

APPLEFAN8

cool, so basically restore it to factory settings, and remove the sim card and sell it? Thanks!

4. macrumors member

I read somewhere that I have to deactivate iMessage before erasing:
    http://gizmodo.com/5945200/how-to-set-up-your-new-iphone-5-the-right-way

Is this still correct? I have an iPhone 4 updated to iOS 6 and when my iPhone 5 came I just erased it in the settings menu. I already put it in a box so at can go out on Monday but now I'm worried that text messages/iMessages still get forwarded to my old iPhone 4 even after erasing. Please help!

5. macrumors 68000

lelisa13p

Always turn OFF iMessage before wiping phone for resale.

6. macrumors member

I already erased it. Is there a way to fix that?

----------

Found this on the apple support page:

Can someone confirm that?

7. Wallace, Sep 22, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2012

macrumors member

FYI, if someone sends me an iMessage it goes to my iPhone 5 but I'm afraid if the next user who buys my old/sold iPhone 4 (as soon as he puts his SIM card in and uses it) gets a "duplicate" of my messages.

8. macrumors 68000

lelisa13p

From the Apple forums, see this thread with special attention to Post #6 (from drfrot) and forward.

9. macrumors member

Thanks for the link. I will try that out.

I guess the only thing I don't 100% understand is if I already successfully receive iMessages on my new iPhone 5 then I should be all set, right?

...I still have my old iPhone 4 here but it is already wiped out and SIM removed. I could start the iP4 back up again and toggle on/off iMessages if this would even help.

Most of the people (see your link above to the Apple forums) had the issue that they couldn't receive iMessages on their new devices because it was still linked to the old phone.

...I'm a bit confused. :confused:

10. macrumors newbie

iPhone 4 SIM card

Do all iPhone 4's have a sims card? I just upgraded and was going to sell my iPhone 4. I reset to factory settings but it still shows my phone number in contact but can't be edited out. What more do I need to do?

Thanks!

11. macrumors 604

lordofthereef

The iPhone 4 for Verizon did not come with a sim card. I am not exactly sure what the OP was saying here. Maybe he actually had a 4S? Not sure. But anyway, you won't see a sim card slot (on VZW iPhone 4) because there isn't one. Is your new phone activated and able to make calls?

12. macrumors newbie

iPhone 4 AT&T

I don't have Verizon. There is no service, I've put the phone back to default settings but my phone number is listed on top of contacts page. I have sold the phone but I think it's not ready to go.

13. macrumors 68000

lelisa13p

See this page at Apple support. Find your model of iPhone on chart, get a paper clip to poke hole and eject SIM tray, remove SIM card and close tray. Test to see that your phone number no longer appears.

Post your progress.