How far are you in debt because of Apple?

Discussion in 'Community' started by nfocus design, Aug 25, 2004.

1. nfocus design macrumors regular

nfocus design

Aug 3, 2004
    Just curious how much people go into debt buying Apple products. I know I'd have a lot more money if it weren't for Apple. For the first time, I paid cash for my latest setup (2.5 and 23" display). So, who holds the title for most in debt because of Apple?
  2. LeeTom macrumors 68000

May 31, 2004
    I went into ~$4,000 debt buying my Powerbook & 20" Cinema Display, but I paid it off in about 3 months.

Lee Tom
  3. Lancetx macrumors 68000

Aug 11, 2003
    Over 20% of my current credit card debt is strictly attributed to buying Apple products (mostly due to the 17" PowerBook I just purchased last month). :eek:
  4. themadchemist macrumors 68030

Jan 31, 2003
    Chi Town
    I took the "pound of flesh" offer...Much more affordable than the regular Apple loan. ;)
  5. iMeowbot macrumors G3

Aug 30, 2003
    Cash purchases rule. Apple don't advertise it, but they will do electronic transfers from personal checking accounts if you order by phone.
  6. iLikeMyiMac macrumors 6502a

Jul 17, 2004
    St. Louis
    I usually don't buy things if I don't have the money so no debt. :D
  7. mj_1903 macrumors 6502a

Feb 3, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    If Apple didn't exist, I would have to find cashflow from somewhere else.

I don't know if I would buy as many Apple goods if it forced me into debt, just not worth it I think.
  8. stoid macrumors 601

Feb 17, 2002
    So long, and thanks for all the fish!
    Debt free to Apple, but only because I'm already going to be in enough debt for college in the next few years. YAY for scholarships though. Last year (year 1) scholarships covered tuition, books, room and board). This year though tuition and books all together cost me about $2.50, and I have to pay for room and board with summer job money that I've earned in the past three summers. Starting next school year, I'll be needing loans.
  9. D0ct0rteeth macrumors 65816

Mar 11, 2002
    Franklin, TN
  10. freiheit macrumors 6502a

Jul 20, 2004
    I, too, am in no debt over buying into the Mac platform. It sure cut down my checking account severely for a while, but it's building back up after a couple months on the "no cash diet".

However, and I will stress this again and again as a home PC user, having a lower cost non-integrated iMac type of thing (a PowerMac mini tower with very little expansion but no built-in LCD to jack up the price) would have made my switch come much sooner and I could have bought direct from Apple instead of buying used from a third party.

I don't NEED 2 optical drive bays and 4 hard drive bays. I don't NEED four or five (or however many) PCI slots. But for the price I paid for my dual CPU PowerMac I could have only bought a single CPU iMac with half the RAM and zero internal expandability. Something in between, for a modest price (say under $1,000), would have been very much appreciated.
  11. saabmp3 macrumors 6502a

Jul 22, 2002
    Tacoma, WA
    Cash only for me. I'm in college and luckly my only debt comes from my car (16k). Apple purchases are purely done in cash on my debit card.

12. Counterfit macrumors G3

Aug 20, 2003
    sitting on your shoulder
    Will they accept 5 pounds of human lard instead?
  13. applemacdude macrumors 68040

Mar 26, 2001
    Over The Rainbow

Maybe a kidney....
  14. cb911 macrumors 601

Mar 12, 2002
    BrisVegas, Australia
    he he. take out your spleen, maybe tonsils and other non-vital bits and pieces then flog them off on the black market somewhere.

oh well, some poor sucker might get a spleen where his kidney used to be, but at least you get a bit of cash. :D hey, that's not a bad idea for a short film... hhmmm...

well i'm alreay in about 16k for college, so what's another 4-5k for Apple products? :D
  15. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Sep 19, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I saved for a long time until I could buy the Power Mac I wanted. I've finally recovered enough to start, once again, saving for my next Mac. I haven't had to borrow so far.
  16. caveman_uk Guest

Feb 17, 2003
    Hitchin, Herts, UK
    I'm not in debt due to Apple at all although I got my ibook on a 0% interest loan which is now paid off. I have spent about £3500 in the last two years though - about $6300 - Apple gear is more expensive here :(
  17. kjwebb macrumors regular

May 19, 2003
    I owe my Dad around AU$800 for my iBook (he's letting me only pay have of the cost).
  18. iGav macrumors G3

Mar 9, 2002
    I don't owe anyone a penny :) completely debt free... which is ideal when interests rates are going up, as is gas and electricity, and council tax and petrol and everything else... :eek: :rolleyes:

But to really top it all of... house prices are beginning to fall n' stall in alot of places, including London. :)

Happy Days!! :D :p
  19. Nermal Moderator

Staff Member

Dec 7, 2002
    New Zealand
    I borrowed a bit from my parents when buying my iBook, but it's all paid off now. In fact, they owe me ~$5000 :eek:
  20. RandomDeadHead macrumors 6502

Feb 8, 2003
    In 1994, I took out a small business loan to replace our WELL aged Mac pluses.
    The total amount of the loan for $80,000.00. This amount bought us 9 new Macs, Plenty of ram, a total of 10 gigs worth of additional hardrives, and more software that you could shake a stick at. It also enabled me to pay back the money I owed the printer.

I had that loan paid off in 1998, and in 2000 I got another loan for $50,000.00 to buy a few new Power Macs, and for the first time, Power Books.
    I got that paid off in 2003, and ever since then we have been fortunate enough to be able to pay for new equipment in cash.

We "made the switch" to OS 10 in january of this year with the purchase of 5 G5 dual 1.8's, 3 20 inch Apple Displays, 2 Viewsonic monitors (for color accuracy), 7 eMacs, and 3 iBooks. Then bought a total of 15 gigs of additional ram, and 1.5 tb's of hard drives.

And btw, I really am not not trying to brag, all of these machines were purchased in the name of business, and it's not like we sit around playing Quake 3 all day or anything, well at least my employees don't sit around playing Quake all day. :D
  21. jefhatfield Retired

Jul 9, 2000
    he he same here...the power mac i use is borrowed, i paid cash for ibook, cash for powertower, and i used my parents' apple IIe, II+, and far, no credit card purchases for a mac

school is very expensive and unless one is independently wealthy, there is some debt to be expected...i know a man with three grad degrees and he is 160,000 dollars in debt

i believe in debt for education but not for something like a new car, or a new car with too many can get around in a good used car

vacations are short and sweet, for most, and there is nothing to show for it...but though impractical, i cannot do without them...they are my weakness along with everything apple inc

i used to spend all my money on musical gear, and when i was a kid, i bought plastic models galore, and stamps and coins
  22. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mar 10, 2004
    Bergen, Norway
    Took a NOK 19.000 (about $2700) hit on my credit card when buying my PowerMac 7500 way back, since then I've made other arrangements to avoid debt (like having the money up front or, even better, get other to pay the Mac for you)...
  23. sushi Moderator emeritus

Jul 19, 2002
    Imagine that you are buying a top end Mac (840av) about 11 years ago and that you want the max RAM (128MB) and the largest AV HD available (1GB).

Cost was around $15,000 with a 16 inch Trinitron Monitor.

Prices are so cheap these days!

24. sushi Moderator emeritus

Jul 19, 2002
    I hope that he starts earning soon. Paying off $160,000, with interest, is no small task.

25. nfocus design thread starter macrumors regular

nfocus design

Aug 3, 2004

I actually used the old Quadra when I was in college. It had the CD caddy and everything. I think we had 12MB RAM. The school put straps on the case to keep people from stealing the RAM. Back then I dreamed of owning such a fancy computer. Now I have a G5 and it didn't cost much more than the Quadra did in the old days :)