How far have you walked? (Literally)

Discussion in 'Community' started by mac-er, Apr 8, 2005.

1. mac-er macrumors 65816

What is the farthest you have walked/hiked at one time?

2. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

30 klicks (18 miles), on a Volksmarch in West Germany with my Dad when I was about 11 years old. My Dad completed the Jutland March a few times... 300 klicks (180 miles) in one week in northern Germany and Denmark.

3. kylos macrumors 6502a

kylos

25 miles with my brother last year, in November, with snow falling. I tip my hat to those who run that distance.

4. cheekyspanky macrumors 6502a

cheekyspanky

Somewhere between 10 to 15 miles walking around motorshows or during day trips to France I would say. I've also done sponsored walks and things that are usually about 10 miles. I can't think of an occasion where I've walked any further than that in one go..yet!

Not all in one go but..I walk around 3 miles a day just going to university and back, and I also go walking along the seafront etc regularly as well as back and forward to work. I think in a typical week I probably walk around 25 - 30 miles.

All this talk of walking makes me wonder how many miles the average hip is rated for..?! :p

5. stevietheb macrumors 6502a

stevietheb

I believe the final count was 12 miles in SW Colorado...a good day's hike that included a peak.

6. Wes macrumors 68020

Wes

7. Inspector Lee macrumors 6502a

Inspector Lee

I've humped about 24 miles on several occasions up and down the Manistee River near the town of Mesick, MI. The trail goes down the east side of the river and then catches the North Country Trail going up the west side. I've succumbed to severe "chafe" at the end of each trip.

But this was on relatively flat terrain at sea level while carrying an ultra-light load. Could probably do 40 under these conditions if I absolutely needed to.

8. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i think 20 miles in one day was my furthest, but i love walking so if its not too far i will walk it over driving, in fact, in the four years i have been at my Univerisity i have yet to take the bus once to class :D

9. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

I walked 26 miles in a day with my dad on a hike across the Pasayten Wilderness. The total hike was about 130 miles. The picture was from the start of the hike. I was in the 8th grade. Yes, I realize I look like a complete dork.

I once computed that I've run over 15,000 miles in my life -- 3 miles every weekday for 20 years!

edit: here's a description of part of the route we took. It didn't seem that intense at the time, but we did lose the trail several times.

Attached Files:

10. Wes macrumors 68020

Wes

I looked at your blog a while ago of your 24 hours of gaming and you look just like your father did. If that picture had been colour I would not have doubted that you were him.

11. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

Ha, yeah, the main difference is that I'm now about 6 inches taller than my dad. My son also looks an awful lot like I did when I was his age -- except he's about 6 inches taller than I was then :eek:

12. jim. macrumors 6502

When I was hiking parts of the AT, I think we were pushing around 20 miles a day. That's probably the most I have hiked in a day. Now I just do about 3 or 4 miles a day, between walking to/from the car at work, and taking my dog out in the evening.

Jim

13. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

That's probably about as far as you want to go in a reasonable day. We only did the 26 because we were running out of food!