How Far Have You Walked?

Discussion in 'Community' started by carbonmotion, Apr 4, 2005.

1. carbonmotion macrumors 6502a

carbonmotion

At the end of high school I thought I had seen it all! I ran varsity Track and Cross Country, my grade point was in the high threes, I hung with the smart and popular crowd (we had one of those, so elitiest), I had a girlfriend that others thought was hot, and I took a decent load of AP classes. It's been two years plus change since my graduation from high school and I've been asked to go back to speak to some students for their AP English paper on maturity. Talking to the kids in that class really made me reflect on how far I've come. Today, I don't even remember the name of that girl that I dated in highschool or how/why we broke up. I don't remember why it was so cool to play varsity sports or why I paid 300 bucks for those ugly ass varsity letter jacket that I would never dare wear around campus. I don't understand why we thought we were better than everyone else, why we ostresized people who were not like us. I remember telling a new member of the group to never talk to "band geeks" ... for what reason, I can not imagine.

So many seniors in that class, sitting before me. They seem so jaded by the trials and tribulations of life. Another few month and they'll be wild eyed freshmans again, I thought to myself... Another few month they'll start their learning proccess anew. In just a sort two years I've fallen in love (really), only to have my heart shattered. I learned to stand up again, after having been brutally beaten down. I learned to truely appreciate the friends that are truest to me, because they are worth more than all the money in the world. I discovered passion in what I study, not just ********ing through another class. I was torn apart, I was put back together... and in that proccess I grew, I matured. I saw the world in a different light.

Answering those cocky questions from those high school seniors about college, I wondered to myself how I could possibly explain to them what is about to come. I realized that I could not. It's a journey that you can only understand once you've taken it.

When you look back on how far you've walked since your childish immature days, what are your reflections?

2. angelneo macrumors 68000

You do realize you still have a very long way to go, right?

3. jeffy.dee-lux macrumors 6502a

when i was in new york, i walked all the way from battery park up to the gugenheim museum :)

4. wrc fan macrumors 65816

wrc fan

In a world where LPs are made like pancakes
    heh, i thought this was gonna be a contest to see who walked the furthest. i was thinking of doing a post like the previous one saying i once walked from the east side of queen anne all the way up capital hill cause i had left my keys in my apartment... and my wallet and cellphone (this was in Seattle).

5. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

I used to walk from my rented 400 sq ft apartment to my job 10 miles away when I was flat broke. Twice a day, 6 days a week. Does that count?

6. Timelessblur macrumors 65816

Timelessblur

I turn 22 in the next 2 weeks in my 4th year of collage with 2 year left to go for my degree

I can be pretty hard to beat for life experice at my age. before HS a lot of my life was in short a living hell. I was that poor kid who was always pick on and I was pushed to the point nearly commetinc suciuded (I had letatly had a knife pointed at my heart at one point in time) cried my self to sleep for weeks on end that was 6th grade for me was about the peak of it. Over those years I learned what it feels like to truely hate some one. Hate is not an emotion you can really understand until you truely know what it feels like. I can say I hate Zealots but that not true hate. Some one who really knows what it feels like to hate I feel sorry for them and I would wish it on no one to learn what it truely like to hate some one. Hate is a very very cold emotion and if you let it take control it will destory you abiltity to love, care, feel love ecta. You will become angery at the world and after hate taken out all the good feeling it takes away you abilty even to be angery any more and you are left with just hate.

Life was not the best for me. HS the first 2 years suck. My Jr year of High school I finally learn what true friendship really is and what it is like to have a true friend. 6 years later that person is still very dear to me and still a very close friend. It gave me a standard to base friendship off of.

That hell I went though still effects me very heavyly today. I tend to keep it buirid and dont make it a coversation topic. I dont like people feeling sorry for me because I not that type of person. Those experice shape me quite a bit and in hind sight I can see how they have and will come in handy because I can draw on them to help out others. It will help me out when I have kids of my own because I will know what it like to gone though it. I remeber my mom when she reliezed that she had noughting to draw on and no way to show me that I could keep going since she never was pushed as hard as I was. I drawn on it when I see people down and out because I know that some time all you need to make it though the day is some one just to be a friend to you. Talk with you or just be kind to you. It helps them pull them selves back together. People close to me know a little of what I been though and they turn to me for advice in dealing with matters since I tend to have expernce dealling with it. My personallity is a very caring personlity where I am helpful to others. I dont know what I would be like if I did not go though that hell.

From what I have seen a lot of HS students have not loss their innocents yet along with a lot of collage freshmen. Their is always a huge change in a person when they loose it and they become more of an adult. I saddly lost a lot of mine at a very young age and I learned how cold and cruel the world is. I now spend time helping friend though their rough patch when they are loosing thier own innocents. HS students are so diffenect from collage students. They are so young and niave about the world.

7. topicolo macrumors 68000

topicolo

I came into this thread fully expecting to writing something like "I have walked 2034km in the last 20 years" but I can see that it would be a little out of place...

8. kiwi_the_iwik macrumors 65816

kiwi_the_iwik

Jeez - sometimes, I've walked MILES in a day of work... And try doing it whilst you're carrying a broadcast camera kit on a protest march with a bunch of smelly ferals, for example...

What a pain in the butt.

:rolleyes:

Ha!

Seriously:

I don't mean to be a little harsh, but EVERYONE goes through rough times in their lives. I suppose this may be some form of catharsis for you, and I hope it helps. But believe me when I tell you that SCHOOL is NOT the be-all-end-all of life experiences. However, it does partially prepare you in some ways - emotionally as well as physically and mentally.

But ultimately, life isn't like "The Breakfast Club".

If you think it's tough now, then you're going to find that life outside of educational institutions can be a bitter, vicious and unforgiving experience, with people ready to stomp on you at the first instance just to get ahead. But it WILL also be rewarding, satisfying and enjoyable - where things like love and beauty restore your faith in the World. It all depends on your slant.

Life can - and will - deal you some cruel and hefty blows. It will also pick you up and dust you down, and tell you to rise above all of the flotsam and crap. It'll tell you to get a grip, and to use your past experiences for "Good" and not "Evil".

It'll even tell you - "Don't let the Bastards grind you down."

:D

Bottom line:
    Everything you've experienced so far in life make you the person that you see staring back at you in the mirror. It's up to you to either retreat into the void of self-pity, or revel in the glory you've created.

Personally, I'd go for the latter - it's much more fun!

P.S.

Try and go out for an ACTUAL walk, and perhaps you'll feel better...

9. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Well, when life gives you crap, you have to find something positive about the experience. Sort of Monty Python's "Look On The Bright Side Of Life". Going through some things right now that look impossible, but at the same time refreshing.

10. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

42!

Oh wait. How far, not how many.

Walk a lot when traveling. Last time my legs were in good shape was after 6 months backpacking around Europe. Then I had to go and play basketball...

As for maturing. I remember reading somewhere that personalities become pretty much set by age 27. Approaching 32, I'd have to say that's nonsense. We keep maturing, keep learning, keep changing, and are always able to look back a few years and wonder what the hell we were thinkning.

11. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

Give it a few more years, and you'll wish you still fit in that $300 letterman's jacket!

12. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

Yeah, whenever I want my wife to threaten to divorce me, I just put on my old highschool jacket.

I, however, was stupid enough to wear the thing when I first got to college. I stopped after someone asked one of my friends, "was he one of those guys who lettered in band or something?"

I should have realized long before then.

13. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    thats FREAKING FAR thats almost 100 blocks!!!

14. 5300cs macrumors 68000

5300cs

Literal walking: Washington st, Chinatown to Coolidge Corner, Brookline (Boston.)

In high school I used to skateboard a lot and didn't care about much. Now I live in Japan (for the past 5 years, actually) am married and have a steady job. I think I've come a long way, but am still like I was back then.

15. cc bcc macrumors 6502

I walked the Inca Trail (Peru) a couple of years ago, I'm still recuperating.. :eek:

And as for the rest of my life...

16. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Despite all my **** ups, I still turned out pretty damned good. Despite my age, 33, I've still got a LONG way to go.

17. carbonmotion thread starter macrumors 6502a

carbonmotion

Lol, I know that my experiences so far are far from complete, but its just interesting to look back to see how far you've come in just two years. Amazing isnt it?

18. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

thank you for this thread, its good to know that i am not alone in how much i have grown, i consider myself rather mature for my age (21) and i know that i have a lot of changes and growing to do still in my life, change will always come, its one of the essential truths to life

but anyways, in hs i knew that i didnt know it all, but i thought my roadmap would work well, i started out as a Graphic Design major, withing the first half of my first semester i changed that to English Teacher Certification. I did that for a bit until ONE teacher decided that i was not ready for it, decided that i didnt really want to teach at the secondary level, i was just going to use it so i could get my PhD anyways and that i would go straight through for that now, my GRE scores werent what i hoped and because of other issues my Grad school applications were rather poor, i was just rejected by UIC's English Graduate Program, but again i look at it in the best light because that was for literature studies, again something that i dont really want to do, Creative Writing really is my passion, and since i have been in school for so many years i figure a year or semester off would be fore the best anyways.....so those are the ways in which i have grown just a bit in the way i approch my life, but along these same lines in relationships have chagned too, i was engaged in the middle of this all and we broke up (the issue that affected my grad apps) and i have moved on, accepting that i have to move back in with my parents for a time and i have found a much better person to share my life with who holds similar ideals as myself

i know that there is more to come, and that scares me, as i think it does anyone who realizes that they are not ready for everything that life has to bring, for anyone who is knows that they are still dependent on others to get by and hates that fact

Again thank you for this thread, i think i have just given myself an idea for my next personal essay.....

P.S. sorry for the rant

19. wrc fan macrumors 65816

wrc fan

In a world where LPs are made like pancakes
    Actually I don't think it's even that far. But when you accidentally lock yourself out of the house it's rather annoying to have to walk all the way up hill to your girlfriend's place, cause the manager isn't home to let you in. Like I said it was supposed to be a joke, it's not the actual furthest I've ever walked.

20. jayscheuerle macrumors 68020

jayscheuerle

In graduating high-school, you can't wait to know it all.

In college, you think you know it all.

In your mid 20s, you can't figure out why you don't know it all.

At 30, you realize you don't know *****.

At 40, you realize admitting you don't know ***** isn't good enough.

-work in progress. See you in 10...

21. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Lets see... one day total I've gone almost 25 miles with 4000 feet of elevation gain. Hurt like a mofo the next day though.

One of these days I'm gonna hike the Muir Trail. 220 miles from about 4000 feet in Yosemite Valley floor to the 14,000 foot Mt Whitney peak.

22. fawlty macrumors regular

Excellent!

23. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

How far have I walked?

****ing miles, and my feet are killing me in these heels.

*cue plaintive blues guitar*

Christ almighty, I couldn't even begin to tell you of some the convoluted ups and downs of my wretched life... some of them I've shared here and a few of them are just too personal to spill out all over this thread... but still, here we are in one piece (sort of).

Good thing is, I can say that these are the best days of my life so far.
    And about bloody time...

24. kiwi_the_iwik macrumors 65816

kiwi_the_iwik

...of course, once you get a rhythm going, you can walk for miles...

Oh - don't forget to take some bananas with you. The Potassium in them is a great energy boost.

:)

25. killuminati macrumors 68020

killuminati

The answer to life the universe and everything