How far I can open my Mac Pro without voiding the Warrantee

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Neonguy, Sep 11, 2006.

1. Neonguy macrumors 6502

Sep 10, 2006
    So far I open up the Hard Drive Slot, The Ram Slot, Graphic Card, Take a look at the PCI slots and The Super Drive. So basically how far can I go without voiding my Warrantee? I havent get to see the CPU and check out the Power Watt yet. I notice on the fans I see screws holding it together. Should anything with screws I shouldn't touch? I may need to clean it and upgrade it someday. So was wondering how far I can go without voiding my Warrantee? Also see that the mac pro only have 300Watt power. Isn't this a little less? Some graphic card required 350 - 400+
  2. iMeowbot macrumors G3

Aug 30, 2003
    That depends entirely on how well you can put it all back together :D Really, if you don't break it in the process, it's all good.
  3. NATO macrumors 68000

Feb 14, 2005
    Northern Ireland
    The general consensus seem to be that you can happily disassemble Apple computers so long as you don't damage anything in the process. I certainly don't remember reading anything in the warranty terms and conditions which state you must not disassemble the computer.

Apple seems to be better than most computer manufacturers which put "Warranty Void" stickers all over the thing so that you can't open it without breaking the seals and hence voiding the warranty. I remember helping a friend install some RAM into his new e-machines (yeah I know!) tower and it had a sticker over the side panel so he had no 'official' access to the inside of the system AT ALL, even to install memory. How messed up is that?
  4. minimalistic macrumors regular

Jul 5, 2006
    Santiago, Chile
    So basically you can access the whole computer without voiding the warranty?

(If I want to remove dust and all that stuff some day, I wouldnt be voiding the warranty?)
  5. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

Mar 17, 2005
    London, UK
    As long as you don't use a scourer or a heat gun to remove the dust you should be fine!! :)
  6. stapler macrumors member

Sep 3, 2006
    The only thing they're really anal about is the Mac mini, which they make hard to open presumably so the computer-unsavvy users that it sells to have to go to Apple to get it fixed.
  7. scorpio8977 macrumors newbie

Aug 25, 2006
    I think it all comes down to if you're going to claim on the warranty for something you broke along the way when you had the back off it. If you're "cleaning dust" and your child throws strawberry milkshake over your CPU then I doubt Apple would entertain the claim. If it all goes well then later down the line something totally unrelated goes bang you should be covered. But then again, you're never too sure until you try it, are you?