Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

guzhogi

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 31, 2003
Wherever my feet take me…
Just wondering what the highest point upgrade Mac OS X will go to. OS 7 & 8 went to .6 (eg 7.6 ang 8.6, respectively). Will this continue, or will we see Mac OS X 10.13? I know that's a far way into the future, but a guy can wonder.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
This has been discussed numerous times here, and it all comes down to the fact that nobody knows. It's tough to compare OS X to earlier versions, since a point release of OS X is more like a full release of a pre-OS X version.

Steve has said that OS X is good for 10-20 years (he said it several years ago, so subtract a few from that number), so it's a matter of when they get tired of the OS X moniker or there's a significant leap forward in the design. When that will be, nobody really knows. I doubt the visionaries at Apple even have a firm idea.

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
it depends on how revolutionary the BSD/Unix system will go in the next several years. Of course, if apple want, they can do whatever name-gaming they want, but real breakthrough is still depends on BSD/Unix's development.

Bibulous

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2005
Hard to say of course, but new types of hardware and networks will have an impact on the need for traditional personal computer and its OS as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.