How far will Mac OS X Go?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by guzhogi, Sep 13, 2006.

1. guzhogi macrumors 68020

guzhogi

Just wondering what the highest point upgrade Mac OS X will go to. OS 7 & 8 went to .6 (eg 7.6 ang 8.6, respectively). Will this continue, or will we see Mac OS X 10.13? I know that's a far way into the future, but a guy can wonder.

2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

check out the other millions of threads on this?

3. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

This has been discussed numerous times here, and it all comes down to the fact that nobody knows. It's tough to compare OS X to earlier versions, since a point release of OS X is more like a full release of a pre-OS X version.

Steve has said that OS X is good for 10-20 years (he said it several years ago, so subtract a few from that number), so it's a matter of when they get tired of the OS X moniker or there's a significant leap forward in the design. When that will be, nobody really knows. I doubt the visionaries at Apple even have a firm idea.

4. the kid 05 macrumors regular

St. Charles Illinois (subdiv of Chi-town)
    it will change when windows makes a tight security coded good o/s

5. nplima macrumors 6502a

i'd sooner imagine MS buying Apple Computer and repackaging OS X as Vista III...

6. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

it depends on how revolutionary the BSD/Unix system will go in the next several years. Of course, if apple want, they can do whatever name-gaming they want, but real breakthrough is still depends on BSD/Unix's development.

7. Bibulous macrumors 6502a

Hard to say of course, but new types of hardware and networks will have an impact on the need for traditional personal computer and its OS as well.

8. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

God really. :(