How far will the GOP go?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Chip NoVaMac, Jul 2, 2004.

1. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

http://cnn.netscape.cnn.com/ns/news...01/2004645728.htm&photoid=20040701WAS07D_WAS7

It talks about a request to the churches volunteers to give the Bush campaign church membership directories. Maybe it is a fine line, but I have no problem with a campaign to send letters to churches asking them to mobilize their flocks in an election. But this opens up a whole can of worms of privacy and a church determining their own stance.

The key is that a volunteer to the campaign may have access to the membership directory. The decision should be left to the church leadership.Is the GOP that desperate? Win at any cost? How soon will there be another Watergate?

Has the DNC ever done anything like this?

2. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

Let the RNC go for it! Watch all those places lose members and their non-profit/non-political status!!!

I've worked at a few churches and went to Seminary. I can't imagine too many boards, deacons, etc. going for this...

3. Chip NoVaMac thread starter macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Yeah, but the way I read it, all it takes is one volunteer campaign worker that has access to the the membership directory. As the article mentioned, church leaders are not too happy with this.

4. Krizoitz macrumors 6502a

Krizoitz

I don't have a problem with a volunteer talking to like minded people of his religious group if he so desires. i do have a problem with him using the directory for something like this. Churches put out directories for the convenience of church members and to allow the building of community. If I find out someone from my church used my churches directory unofficially to contact me for political reasons you can bet they will hear from me. If my church officially releases that information for that purpose oh they will hear from me even more (not that i think that will happen)

5. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

:eek: Didn't read it (obviously :rolleyes: ) But I'm glad I was right about the church leaders not being happy with it :D