How fast can a F1 car go?

Discussion in 'Community' started by iGav, Jul 8, 2005.

1. evil_santa macrumors 6502a

evil_santa

White van man

no matter how fast it can get to, it will still have a white van behind it trying to overtake. :D

2. anonymous161 macrumors 6502

Where the wind comes sweeping down the plains
    Is this with or without ballast onboard?
    I'll say around 270 without ballast, 250 or so with.
    The biggest question is whether a BAR Honda can go that far without blowing up its engine

3. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

That would be awesome to travel that fast. Unfortunately, F1 cars cost more than most people's houses. Guess I will have to settle for the 110 mph that a Silverado can go... :rolleyes:

4. idea_hamster macrumors 65816

idea_hamster

What I find just awsome about Formula 1 cars is not so much the raw speed, but the fact that at top speed, they generate over 800kg of downforce.

Since an F1 car weighs in around 550kg, they could drive along the ceiling and not fall off. :eek:

Now THAT's progress!

5. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Until they have to slow down for a corner... :(

6. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

7. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

The force the aerodynamic kit gives the car to push it onto the road. The wings force the air over the top of the car effectively pushing it onto the road. Kind of like the opposite of how an aeroplane wing works.

8. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    As I've heard on shows when they are talking about tests at Bonneville. At those speeds the trick isn't getting it up, its keeping it down.

9. wrxguy macrumors 6502a

wrxguy

F1 rules

a little adition - the main reason of the spoiler or "wing" on an f1 car is to keep it on the ground and to improve handling...these cars have ridiculous engines that generate over 1000 horses and like it was said earlier they are so ***** light that with all that power w/o the downforce (and not just the wing, its the front lip and pretty much all the body work) the car would pick up and fly away....they also use carbon on carbon brakes cause they come into corners going over 150 mph they have to stop fast, regular brakes would burn up, the carbon brakes can withstand ridiculous temps but they also run in upwards of $100k just for the brakes lol....
    an interesting fact, Al Unser Jr one of the best drivers of our time (he races F1) got in a Nascar and did some laps with gordon and in only 2 laps of gettin in the car he was with in 1 second of gordons laptime! shows how skilled these drivers really are!!!

10. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

True, but they hardly have to worry about cornering. :p

11. takao macrumors 68040

takao

i wonder when after the new engine reglement they will hit todays hp numbers again... last time it took them 2 years (they are still far away from the 1650 hp record from mid 80ties)

can't wait for the next engine wars between the big companies

12. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

Al Unser raced in CART and Indy, not F1 (though i concede they are somewhat similar).
    F1 are more advanced, but indy might be faster in raw speed, (although a direct comparison is impossible due to quite different requirements in tech specs). I guess a head-to-head race would be heavily circuit-dependent.

13. jayscheuerle macrumors 68020

jayscheuerle

The spoilers on these cars actually DO something, as opposed to the ones on commercial vehicles, which only serve to "spoil" the look of the cars...

:D

14. Platform macrumors 68030

Platform

Yeah........and lets see some low-profile tyres as well ;) :D :D :cool:

15. Platform macrumors 68030

Platform

Well not all ;)

16. jayscheuerle macrumors 68020

jayscheuerle

Okay, some of the smaller, factory ones (though only there for aesthetic reasons) don't look bad, but the after market ones dominate the hideous accessory category.

I've read that even GIANT spoilers don't do a thing until you're going over 90mph and the size of the ones on F1s are like WINGS!

17. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

So why did Audi have to embarrassingly put special spoilers on their TT here in Australia if the legal top speed in all states is roughly 60mph? Aerodynamics, including spoilers, play a role at all speeds however their role is positively correlated with higher speeds. :)

For the record though, I agree that most spoilers are both unnecessary and ugly. :(

18. Chr!s macrumors newbie

Around 800bhp in F1. I think it could be a little bit less.

19. jayscheuerle macrumors 68020

jayscheuerle

Really? :p

Attached Files:

20. dubbz macrumors 68020

dubbz

Yuck! That looks awful.

21. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

what's wrong with those? my son would love them

22. jayscheuerle macrumors 68020

jayscheuerle

I'm assuming we're talking about MatchBox cars and your son is 3? :D

23. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

absolutely not!

HotWheels and 5 :D

24. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

I think BAR-Hondas are pushing out somewhere around 940HP nowadays (I'm probably off there). My guess is they will exceed 250 mph. In perfect conditions and with a perfect setup the vehicle could probably peg 300 based on it's power to weight ratio and true power and weight, but at those speeds tiny things make big differences in attainable speed - ambient temperature, humidity, wind, and a million other things.

F1 cars are some of the most aerodynamically advanced automobiles on earth, so I think the biggest issue will be the car's open wheels and exposed suspension, which will become huge air brakes once a certain speed threshold is reached.