How fast do Apple's processors have to be?

Discussion in 'Hardware Rumors' started by Durandal7, Jan 11, 2002.

?

How fast do Apple's processors have to be to insure sucess on the market?

1. Over 2 Gigahertz

12 vote(s)
    20.3%
  2. 1.5ghz-2.0ghz

24 vote(s)
    40.7%
  3. 1.2ghz-1.4ghz

22 vote(s)
    37.3%
  4. 933mhz-1.1ghz

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Less than 933mhz

1 vote(s)
    1.7%
  1. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

How fast do they need to be to insure sucess on the market?

2. 748s macrumors 6502a

748s

i'll be happy when they can match the SGI 400mhz

3. lera macrumors member

with a tibook at 550 mhz if faster than most desktops, and a (consumer!) iMac at 800mhz as fast as a (nonexistant) 3Ghz pc that runs windoze. I'm happy.

Mhz don't matter

4. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

Yeah, but

Just to satisfy those pc guys, the mac should go to at least 1 GHz... thats the only way those wintel-minded guys are going to convert over...

irmongoose

5. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

Keep your MHz...

What I wanna see is BUS SPEED! Backside cache! DDR RAM! All that good stuff. I'd be happy with 1.2 GHz.

6. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

Re: Keep your MHz...

I think I agree with u....but still would like to see some much improved cycle speeds.....I think this is crucial to the rest of the world....as much as a load of bs as we all know it is though...

7. AmbitiousLemon Moderator emeritus

AmbitiousLemon

Re: Re: Keep your MHz...

ok ive been very scared by a lot of things about the new look here but that baby head is just terrifying!

as far as Hz goes, for those peecee users bold enough to consider a mac i think Hz dont matter too much, however there is a limit to this. If we see apple winning the Hz wars then i think it could win over many peecee users who would not ordinarily consider a mac. Thats why i voted over 2ghz, because for hz to matter apple needs to be ahead.

8. Bobd macrumors member

9. elfin buddy macrumors 6502a

elfin buddy

pc morons

the question is, do we really want all those pc users who think that mhz is the only way to measure speed? with morons like that moving to mac, wouldn't it create an impression that mac users are idiots? hmmmmm.....

10. samy85114 macrumors regular

G4 processor are faster anyway!

ACtually, an iMac G4 800 Mhz is faster than a P4 1.8Ghz or whatever, according to the sources. But most of the people don't realize and don't even want to understand it. If apple desire more Macuser, and sure they want to, they just have to come up with processor speed over 1.2 Ghz. because right now , a lot of pc user are already thinking about their superiority just by telling " we've got the P4 2.2ghz" well, congratulation! :) just wait until the G5 and then we,ll compare both. ( I heard on television the P4 2.2 is slower than the Athlon 1.9, that'S a real example on how the processor speed doesn't really matter.

Just by using a G5 900 Mhz , if it exists, i'm sure it beat them all!
    So just imagine running with a G5 1.2. That should be awesome!

We will see by the end of February, ( that's what I heard ) if it's true, if it,S not the case, well as soon as possible, please :)

11. spikey macrumors 6502a

Pretty much everything is faster than the P4. I mean god damn it, even my ****** Duron beats it at SOME benchmarks. The competition is in AMDs Athlon.

I would be happy to have a dual 1.2Ghz, the dual is bound to confuse the PC world, opr atleast make them think its twice the speed of one cpu.

12. Durandal7 thread starter macrumors 68040

OK, I should have clarified the poll a little bit. It should have read : How fast do Apple's processors have to be to win over PC converts?

13. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

Re: Re: Re: Keep your MHz...

that's not the first time I've hear someone telling me how creepy the kewpie baby is....I guess it's all the more reason to like it...he he he... :p

in reference to the second part of your reply, I completely agree with u. Mhz doesn't matter in a Mac's case....but in the PC user's heart, it plays a very big role unfortunately. I think Steve's gotten their attention enough of their attention with the hype & incredible looks of some of our machines (TiBook, iBook, new iMac). Maybe Apple should start inviting PC users for a "Test Drive" so these convert candidates can see first hand the difference?

14. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

15. imspace2 macrumors member

Re: Re: Re: Re: Keep your MHz...

I think sculley or someone in apple tried that with macs awhile back and lots of people liked them but never bought them, but with these new prices and some "Public Hype" I think it would do well

16. Bobd macrumors member

Thanks again for your help but, no, I do not have a broadband connection...

Again, if it is "common knowledge" that there are equivalents in power between Macs G4 and PC CPU's, it must be based on facts . So far, as an example of what I mean, I've found that a 1.2 Ghz Athlon with a Geforce 3 is supposed to give 136 fps at 1024*768 32 bit while a DP G4 800, with the same graphic board, gives 89.7 fps... Or that a DP G4 450 takes 79.8 seconds to run Photoshop 5.5 benchmark test while it takes 85.8 seconds to a 1 Ghz Pentium 3...

These benches I found, which are yours to see if you want
    http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/G4ZONE/photoshop_1GHzPCvsG4.html

http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/systems/dual_g4_800/geforce3_vs_radeon_DP800.html

http://www.hardware.fr/html/articles/lire.php3?article=365&page=7
    (that one is in French)

As you can see, if I were to only follow these results, I would not come up to the same conclusion as the "common knowledge" you're refering to. BUT of course they are not complete, they are the only ones I could come up with so far, and I don't limit my conclusions to these, and again, I'm looking for help to understand how such differences in estimations can be, and what they are based on. I'm very open to new benchmarks showing different light on this issue.

So, if any one you can help... The reason while I'm conductiong these personnal researches is that I'm about to invest money in a new computer, and I want to base my money on facts and not common knowledge or speculations.

Thanks in advance !!

17. kaneda macrumors regular

real time rendering (3D)

Fast enough for real time 3D rendering..:O) I know..that will be in 20 years for desktop computer..

18. Catfish_Man macrumors 68030

Catfish_Man

They don't need high clockspeed...

...they need dual processors. Dual 1.26Ghz G4s (the fastest Apollos, according to rumor), would be 2.52Ghz. Higher clockspeed than the 2.2Ghz P4 (Actually, the biggest improvement in the new P4s is the backside cache and .13micron circuits, not the clockspeed. That's the only reason why a 2.2Ghz P4 edges out a 1.66Ghz AthlonXP 2000+ by a tiny bit.)

I wanna see dual 1.6Ghz G5s.....3.2Ghz total.......64 bit.......DDR RAM........I want one.......

19. mnm macrumors newbie

MORE REGULAR SPEED BUMPS

More regular speed bumps would give a better impression of progress, even if only 33 or 50 MHz jumps, maybe every one or two months. This would also stop the 6/12monthly "my XXX MHz Power Mac just halved in value" complaints many have. Bollox to all the rumours, secrecy, hype and wow factor launches, just always have the best available to purchase, then who could ask for any more or complain at sudden large devaluations. Save the Keynotes for enclosure designs, peripherals, software. This would also even out sales for apple giving a more predictable income and greater confidence to grow.

Also what about a Sony partnership, bit like the Sony Ericsson mobiles partnership. I'm sure VAIO's that ran Mac OSX would convert loads of Windows users, surely they can just put in an apple motherboard and one mouse button. Of course the TiBook is much better, but what better way to give PC users a side by side comparison on speed and price, and give everyone the "choice" that competition is supposed to bring to the OS market place.

:rolleyes:

Marcus

20. elfin buddy macrumors 6502a

elfin buddy

marcus

apple doing something like that would probably kill most rumor sites like mosr. apple obviously doesn't like rumor sites very much but they are also a major source of free advertising for apple, so i cant see apple just ending it. i dont think i would like that as much as trying to guess what would be next :cool:

either way, a partnership with sony could do a lot for apple.....but it would only hurt apple if it were dealing with Mac OS X and consumer computer sales. it would probably cannibalize sales of imacs and ibooks. putting a powerpc and the like in a VAIO would only be putting a mac in a pc case. if they were to have a lower price, apple wouldnt sell many consumer computers. some deal on dv camcorders or digital cameras would be best. apple has to be real careful that they dont slip up now......

21. i_am_a_cow macrumors regular

Us mac users all know that megahertz doesn't mean speed, but as for average pc users who don't really care :confused: , anything in the Ghz range will get their attention

22. mnm macrumors newbie

come on

Steve Jobs openly proclaims Sony to be their corporate idols! They'd both love it, the electronic mutual appreciation society, Sony and Apple.