Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
max_altitude said:
There are however some roads which have ridiculously slow speed limits for no apparent reason and that really gets on my nerves.

Yeah, I sometimes think those people are i[]more[/i] of a hazard than those that drive fast...

e²Studios

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
I usually do 75-80 on highways, and within 5 mph of surface street limits. I really hate when people speed up so you cannot pass them safely then when you get behind them they slow down substantially... that and people that think its their job to police the highways and slow people down in the fast lane..

Ed

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
UKnjb said:
I'm with MACDRIVE - no point in hurtling towards anything really, just to slam the brakes on at the last minute. Festina lente for me. As for the open road, that can be a different thing - but we so rarely have those in the UK, I have forgotten what they are like. And, as edesignuk states, depends on what music is playing. :)

Add to that many stop lights are timed by the speed limit for the road, or worse are "tracked" like some roads in Herndon VA, so speeders will trigger the stop light in order to slow the lawless down. And tick off those of us that have a respect for the law. :mad:

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
max_altitude said:
Yeah, in Victoria there used to be a 10% allowance but that's been removed now. However there are talks of bringing it back in.

Fat chance. Victoria is easily the most draconian state when it comes to traffic law enforcement and punishment. It's ridiculous driving through there. :(

Mammoth

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2005
Canada
iGary said:
Never more than about 6 mph over the limit. There is no point to going much faster.
..Even if you have a heap of women in the back giving birth?

Be glad your traffic isn't this.

kretzy

macrumors 604
Sep 11, 2004
Canberra, Australia
mad jew said:
Fat chance. Victoria is easily the most draconian state when it comes to traffic law enforcement and punishment. It's ridiculous driving through there. :(
Yeah, very true. But as there's an election coming up the opposition is saying that they will probably bring back the 10%, that's if they win of course.

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
mad jew said:
That's quite ironic, considering how many people in Melbourne drive Ferraris. Maybe they just have them so the windrush keeps their hair slicked back :D

kretzy

macrumors 604
Sep 11, 2004
Canberra, Australia
mad jew said:
I think it's to make them feel better about losing the footy to the SA teams each week. :D
:rolleyes: :D

Eh, I just know Geelong are going to loose to Adelaide today.

dynamicv said:
That's quite ironic, considering how many people in Melbourne drive Ferraris.
Really? I can't say I've noticed all that many Ferraris around.

ZoomZoomZoom

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2005
For the states, just shy of 15 over the limit on local and up to 100 on the highway, both traffic-pending. I go a little past 100 if it's late at night and I'm on a road I'm faimilar with having no cops on, because it feels pretty lame to clip along at 60mph when you're on an empty straightaway for the next 10 minutes.

I don't drive in Taiwan (on study abroad right now) but I can imagine that if I drove here, it would be very very slow. The traffic here is mind-boggling.

e²Studios

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
I EFFING hate when its a holiday weekend and for no reason except greed the price of fuel goes from 3.16/Gal for premium to $3.37/Gal... **** them all..

Ed

Tanglewood

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2006
San Diego, CA
Ed H said:
I EFFING hate when its a holiday weekend and for no reason except greed the price of fuel goes from 3.16/Gal for premium to $3.37/Gal... **** them all..

Ed

I haven't seen premium around here for under $3.37/gal for a while. Though I normally buy regular, wohoo for $3.15/gal :mad: .

To think I was paying $1.80/gal back in 2003.

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
ZoomZoomZoom said:
For the states, just shy of 15 over the limit on local and up to 100 on the highway, both traffic-pending. I go a little past 100 if it's late at night and I'm on a road I'm faimilar with having no cops on, because it feels pretty lame to clip along at 60mph when you're on an empty straightaway for the next 10 minutes.

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Please let some of know where you are in the states, so that we can watch out for you!

Keep in mind in some states driving 15+ over the posted limit is reckless driving, and your driving privileges could be suspended or revoked.

e²Studios

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
Chip NoVaMac said:
:eek: :eek: :eek:

Please let some of know where you are in the states, so that we can watch out for you!

Keep in mind in some states driving 15+ over the posted limit is reckless driving, and your driving privileges could be suspended or revoked.

Anything 99+ in California is an automatic misdemeanor, they have the option to give you felony reckless driving. It would be an automatic ticket to jail and a trip to the impound yard for your car. Not too smart really...

Ed

mmzplanet

macrumors regular
Nov 4, 2004
Florida
At home and around town I keep it near the speed limit.... Makes no sense to hurry to another red light or to the next traffic jam.

However, when you are talking about a 800-1000mile trip on the interstate... a 5 mph higher average can mean an hour difference or more. On those trips I will max out around 80.

I don't know how you california drivers tolerate those high prices. 2.79 is near the worst I have see down here. Just 8 months ago it was only 2.09.

nbs2

macrumors 68030
Mar 31, 2004
A geographical oddity
I'll do 70 on all freeways when there is other traffic (unless the posted limit is higher), the posted when there isn't. About 5-8 over when doing intown driving, unless I know that the next light will is red (then i amble).

But, that is only when driving my Civic. My driving speed is based more on trying to keep the engine running at lower speeds than how fast I am actually going...

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
Ed H said:
Anything 99+ in California is an automatic misdemeanor, they have the option to give you felony reckless driving. It would be an automatic ticket to jail and a trip to the impound yard for your car. Not too smart really...

Ed

Congrats to California!

IMO anything over 20+ over the posted should be a felony. With revocation of driving privileges for 2 years. The same for anyone running a red light (not yellow, they would be revoked for 6 months). It is time for us to regain our streets and highways from those that think that laws mean nothing. Who are they to pick and choose what laws they will obey?

Yes, I am mad. Why should I have to delay my travels - since many seem to want to run red lights (not just yellow lights)? Why should I have to be concerned about an idiot that rides my bumper in 35 mph zone- flashing their lights, when I am doing 40 mph? Why do I have to drive with caution, when I have the clear right of way, when idiots have the stop sign and choose to ignore it?

There are laws people. If you don't like them.Then get them changed. Until then obey them.

Get over it. There are many more of us that are fed up up with your idiot ways. Those of you that feel that it is your God given right to flaunt our laws.

SpookTheHamster

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2004
London
iGary said:
Never more than about 6 mph over the limit. There is no point to going much faster.

Depends on the limit. If you're in a 30 limit, you'll be treated no differently if you're doing 36 or 63 over here. I got my first speeding ticket last week, the policeman was waiting at the entrance to a 40 limit, catching people (like me) who were speeding up from 30 before they got to the sign. £60 fine and 3 points for doing 37.

On the other hand, if you're in a 70 limit, you normally won't be fined until you do over 80.

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
The left lane is for PASSING ONLY come on people understand that.

Yeah, but it is also not called the lawbreaking lane for a reason.

Back it down to 5 or so over for my own saftey if not yours.

Personally, I find the state of driving in this country disgusting. It's like sharing the road with a bunch of 5-year-old brats.

I was on I-97 yesterday and going 72 in a 65 (passing a car on the left steadily), and this bozo comes behind me and starts flashing his head lights and almost attemtping to pass on the shoulder. It's a good thing I sold my guns. I was obvioulsy passing, and just beacuse its the left lane does not mean you can go 90.

Then there are the people that weave in and out of traffic to beat me by 10 seconds to the next light. Wow, that's brilliant.

Driving today reflects much of the current "me" mentality in this country. No one cares what anyone thinks as long as they are happy, and unfortunately police seem void from the highways toady, compared to when I was learning how to drive. Cell phones also ned to be banned everywhere.

Blah. *pissed*

pianojoe

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2001
N 49.50121 E008.54558
Tanglewood said:
I haven't seen premium around here for under $3.37/gal for a while. Though I normally buy regular, wohoo for $3.15/gal :mad: .

To think I was paying $1.80/gal back in 2003.

Price for regular around my place: 1.33€/l —> $6.39/gal

Of course, most of it is fuel tax, and 16% VAT.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.