How fast do you read?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Demon Hunter, Jul 9, 2006.

1. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

I'm a slow reader, so if anyone has tips on increasing speed, please share! I'm also getting my eyes checked.

2. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

After getting your eyes checked you can try thinking about how much you read in one glance...parts of a word? words individually? entire sentences? the more you read in each 'bite' the faster you will read. A little practice and reading more in each glance will come easily.

The best way to practice reading is to pick up a book...stay away from the computer screen.

3. itcheroni macrumors 6502a

I'm a slow reader too. It's been rather rough for me because I majored in literature and I generally love reading.

I've tried controlling my breathing so I can pass that threshold of reading only as fast as you can speak but it just didn't feel the same.

4. cleanup macrumors 68030

cleanup

I can read faster than I speak...

but if I really want to absorb the material I find myself going over the sentence several times and slowing down. I just have bad concentration.

5. Demon Hunter thread starter macrumors 68020

Thanks for the tips. :)

6. Felldownthewell macrumors 65816

Felldownthewell

I can read a 1000 page book in a week if I like it. 700 pages takes me 3-4 days, depending on complexity. I don't have any techniques...I never practiced or anything, I just read fast. I don't think it has anything to do with eyes as I have a lazy left eye which was "fixed" after years of eye therapy, and I wear (am supposed to, anyway) contacts. Some people just read faster than others, I guess.

7. Demon Hunter thread starter macrumors 68020

Do you read often though? Practice makes perfect!

8. Felldownthewell macrumors 65816

Felldownthewell

I read a ton (oddly, less during the summer than during school) but, I am not so sure that practice makes perfect in this case. itcheroni said they are an english major and still a slow reader... not to say that reading speed is not a changeable factor, but I think it may be programed rather deeply in our brains.

9. Black&Tan macrumors 6502a

Black&Tan

It may have something to do with how much reading you did as a child, or something as abstract as playing a musical instrument. Music teaches one rhythm, and reading is certainly a rhythmic exercise.

10. Demon Hunter thread starter macrumors 68020

Perhaps, although I was an avid book worm in elementary school.

11. AppleMatt macrumors 68000

AppleMatt

This is very common.

Three ways to tackle this:
    1) Read the text like you would a magazine article, quickly and don't worry about the details. If there's something you don't understand do not go back over the sentence, just carry on until the end. Then re-read the piece. You'll fill in the gaps.
    2) Read the sub-headings of the text before you tackle the content. It's been proven that we absorb information better if we are given a 'framework' before hand to 'drop' the information into - i.e. if we are aware of the larger picture.
    3) Sleep on it. we process and store information in our sleep. Read it, sleep, read it again the next day. That hard concept might become a little easier.

AppleMatt