Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maestro55

macrumors 68030
Nov 13, 2005
Goat Farm in Meridian, TX
The test requires a plug-in that I don't have on this linux machine. When I was in BCIS (Business Computer Information Skills) in 9th grade my typing actually was up to around 65 words per minute. Over the last five years I have done a lot less typing and I think that I have slowed down. I suspect when copying something I am around 55 words per minute, but right now while I have thinking about what I am saying, I would assume that the speed I am going is around 40 words per minute or less. It really doesn't matter to me, I type fast enought to get by.

panoz7

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2005
Raleigh, NC
hehe... that was fun. I can't seem to get a reasonable balance between errors and speed. The first time I tried I was over a hundred but had like 80% accuracy... Would I be faster or slower on a desktop keyboard instead of on my Macbook?

Attachments

• Picture 3.png
    Picture 3.png
    11.4 KB · Views: 238

JurgenWigg

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2006
Baltimore
Came out at 74 WPM - I definately slowed down once I realized that you couldn't go back once you hit the space bar, quite the shock to me, but i still managed to hit 96% accuracy!

EDIT: Second time around - 86 WPM, what a difference ;)

realityisterror

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2003
Snellville, GA
Net speed: 77 WPM
Accuracy: 97% (Argh! It's non-standard not to use a comma before the last item in a list :rolleyes: )

I've never seen someone type much faster than myself. I don't mean that to sound like I'm bragging or something, but I can't even fathom how it could be much faster. I attribute my rate to years of geekdom, but it's been pretty much the same for most of my life.
Geez I have no life.

MongoTheGeek

macrumors 68040
I did miserably. I guess I wasn't in the zone and I know that my skills have gone to hell the past few years. In college I was insanely fast and accurate. Words and sentences appeared at the speed of thought. I guess they still appear at the speed of thought :(.

Blame it on the Stupids(tm)

Shamus

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2006
55 wpm net speed, faster than what I thought it would be.

Some of you guys on here are really fast!

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
That was fun. First time I've ever measured my typing speed :)

Anyway, here's the results. Not too shabby.

typing.jpg

annk

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 18, 2004
Somewhere over the rainbow
I got 88 wpm, 98% accuracy, 1 error - on the Wizard of Oz (big surprise :p ).

This was a luxurious test, when we learned, we had caps on the keys (not allowed to look down), and of course the word we were on did not light up in red. Keeping track of where you were was part of the deal.

Oh - and we used IBN Selectric typewriters. :D

darrengreer

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2006
Ouch, I'm getting slower in my old age,

Gross 86
Errors 5
Net 81
94% accuracy

Need more caffiene I guess :)

it5five

macrumors 65816
May 31, 2006
New York
At work I type about 10,000 key strokes/hour. But it's all really repetitive and boring. A lot of it is numbers too. I type way slower at home.

annk

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 18, 2004
Somewhere over the rainbow
After I moved to Norway, my typing speeds have changed. I still type a bit faster in English than in Norwegian, but having to go back and forth between the two keyboard layouts slows me down now and then, I think. In addition, the layout as far as punctuation is different when I choose a Chinese keyboard. I guess my fingers get confused now and then. :eek:

celebrian23

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2006
Under the sun
I got 60wpm with quite a bit of mistakes, however my mbp is on an end table that's ttoo short for a chair but uncomfortable just sitting, but I deal with just sitting

r6girl

Administrator/Project Manager
Staff member
Sep 6, 2003
New England
eek. lots of errors for me on my powerbook's keyboard:

gross speed: 105 wpm
errors: 19 words
net speed: 86 wpm
accuracy: 81%

um, i'm better on a regular keyboard, i swear. :eek:

nadyne

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2004
Mountain View, CA USA
125 WPM, using the ergonomic keyboard in my office. I'm still not entirely comfortable with it (I'm rarely in my office, so I usually just type on my laptop keyboard), and it feels like I'm going slower than what I'm used to. I think that I type faster on my new MacBook keyboard, but I haven't measured it.

When I was a kid, my parents owned a business. One summer, my mother decided that I would learn how to type because a girl needs to know how to type. So she sat 10-year-old me down in front of her IBM Selectric, draped a towel over my hands, and ensured that I learned how to touchtype. By the end of that summer, I'd hit 80 WPM. College is when I really started going fast, mostly because I started chatting online. IRC and MUDs did wonders for my typing speed, but maybe not my grades. :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.