How fast is iDVD on a G5?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jaw04005, Oct 7, 2004.

1. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

I have a 800Mhz iMac, and recently finished an iDVD project that was around 4.5GB give or take. It took iDVD around 7 hours to complete the process. If you have a G5 iMac or Dual G5 what kind of performance are you getting with iDVD?

2. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

:eek: Dude! :eek:

It doesn't take my iMac that long! How much RAM is in your iMac? Have you tried repairing permissions?

I do not know about a G5...but 7 hours is way too long!

3. jaw04005 thread starter macrumors 601

jaw04005

768MB. Now granted the DVD is full of slide shows (12 with AAC files), so I know there is alot of encoding that has to be done. That is typically about how long a DVD on my iMac has always took with iDVD 4. It is set to "performance" instead of "best quality".

4. jaw04005 thread starter macrumors 601

jaw04005

To tell you the truth, my imac feels slow when doing any type of image/video work---whether iMovie, iDVD, iPhoto, Photoshop CS or even exporting to different file formats with Quicktime. I've repaired permissions, and I'm running the latest patches, etc. I guess the ole' 800Mhz is just not cuttin' it anymore! hehe.

5. Jovian9 macrumors 68000

Jovian9

6. jackieonasses macrumors 6502a

jackieonasses

my old single 1.8 g5 tower did a full dvd in 35 minutes.

7. Jovian9 macrumors 68000

Jovian9

I think the reference is to the entire process in iDVD4 when trying to do a movie that is over an hour in length, not just the burning process.
    After a movie is rendered iDVD will burn the DVD pretty fast. But in iDVD4 Apple allowed one to burn movies up to 2 hours in length. In doing this they let you pick b/t 2 settings:

Best Performance - which allows one to burn movies under an hour in length, at a higher quality, and also allows you to encode everything while the program runs and you work on it....or on anything else with your Mac. This means that after all this is done you can click burn and all that is left for it to do is to burn the DVD (time dependant on how fast a SuperDrive you have).

Best Quality - which allows one to burn movies over an hour in length but does not allow background encoding. Therefore you have to click burn, insert the DVD, and let iDVD 4 do all of the rendering, encoding, and burning at once. Essentially it has to go through the entire process. This is what takes so long.

So any movies over an hour long were taking ALOT of time.